Question Computer restarting while gaming | No bluescreen or Errors

Aug 16, 2020
Hello everyone,

I've been having a peculiar problem with my machine the past week or two and I was hoping I could get some help diagnosing it. While gaming for a few hours, on one particular game, my computer will randomly restart itself. It won't give me a bluescreen or error messages, it merely restarts and comes right back on like nothing happened. Checking my system errors it's simply listed as a Kernel 41 error because the machine wasn't shut off properly but nothing more than that. Figuring it might be a driver/update issue I went through to try and make sure everything on my system was updated and it still happened.

At first, I assumed that it would be my CPU overheating after a few hours of gaming. So I installed CoreTemp to help me keep track of my CPU temperature while I was gaming, checking in on it every thirty minutes or so. The highest my CPU ever seemed to get though was around 72C which I thought was pretty okay for running a game at the highest graphic settings.

I then suspected maybe my GPU was malfunctioning so I downloaded FurMark and I ran a few stress tests with that to see if maybe it was just too much for the gpu to handle. After several tests, my GPU temp never went above 69C and it didn't cause my computer to shut down.

At this rate, I suppose my most logical answer would be my PSU? Though I hate for that to be the case given I only built this PC two years ago. Are there any other suggestions you might have for me to try out before going out to get a new PSU? This is, unfortunately, my first build so I don't have spare parts around to test without having to go out and buy them so any suggestions would be super helpful!

SPECS
CPU | Intel Core i7 with Coler Master Hyper 212
Motherboard | ASUS PRIME B360M-A
Memory | G.Skill Trident Z RBG 16 GB
Storage | Wester Digital Cavier Blue 1 TB HD & Kingston A400 240 GB SSD
Video Card | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060
PSU | Corsair TMX GOLD 650

Does this happen in other games as well, or just this particular one?

Also, does it happen when you fully load BOTH your CPU and GPU (Furmark + prime95) simultaneously?

Symptoms you described usually happen due to inadequate PSU, especially kernel 41 error. Your PSU seems to be good enough quality on paper, but still might be faulty or detoriated unit, so not to be ruled out.

Test the above first.

Aug 16, 2020
So far it has only happened to that particular game.

I ran the tests with both going and no crashes happened. I also ran TTS for about five hours because that's also a pretty demanding game system and even after 5 hours in a very detailed game server both CPU and GPU never went above 67 C. Could it simply be a corrupted game that's causing the restarts? I uninstalled and reinstalled and will try to be testing it again the next time I get the chance.

Sep 8, 2020
did you fix it? ive got the same problems for the past 2 weeks, i dont know what to do. many thread here and other websites advice to swap my PSU to a new one. but in some cases i see switching to new or better PSU wont always fix the issue.