Computer Restarting Without Warning

Danniosaur

Reputable
Mar 5, 2017
Hi! Recently, I've had my PC returned from a repair in January (the motherboard apparently died and they had to replace it). Every since it's returned, I've had a restart approximately every seven hours of my PC being on. Without warning, the PC will just restart and switch back on.

After this restart, the internet will then disconnect after 10-20 minutes and will be unable to connect to the internet again until I do a manual restart. Until the whole thing repeats again. After looking at some threads regarding a similar issue, I looked at event viewer for critical events and came back with this.

https://i.imgur.com/4aepj6c.png

I'm not sure if its related to the fact that I switched the power cable with one a different PC in my house was using (as my original power cable was smashed upon arrival of my pc during transit).

I've been getting more conscerned about it as money is tight and I can't really afford a large-scale repair again. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I ran speccy and this is the general overview:

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
AMD FX-6300 32 °C
Vishera 32nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
MSI 760GM-P23(FX) (MS-7641) (CPU1) 33 °C
Graphics
S271HL (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (MSI) 29 °C
Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-35WN4A0 ATA Device (SATA) 30 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
High Definition Audio Device

Solution

Everything seems normal

You might need to look at the PSU from within the case.
If the info of the PSU is in one of the sides against the PC case, then you won't be able to see it unless is removed.
Cheap PSUs could cause random shutdowns
The 'Critical Event ID 41, Kernel Power' means exactly what the description states "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first....it could be caused if the system stop responding, crashed or lost power"
Do you have any other 'Critical errors'?
If the cable was damaged it could have cause damage to the PSU.
It could also be temperature related, get HWMonitor or Core Temp

Could you post your computer specs

You could stop the PC from restarting when it crashes
Click Start + R
Type in 'sysdm.cpl' hit Enter
Click on the 'Advanced' tab
Click the 'Settings' button under 'Startup and Recovery'
Uncheck 'Automatically restart', then 'OK'
Click 'OK' again to exit System Properties.
Restart.

Danniosaur

Reputable
Mar 5, 2017

Hi! I'm not sure if it would be temperature related as I don't really go above 65 whilst in game. (My Old PC had a heating issue so I keep a close eye on that.) Also, my PC case is quite large and has a lot of ventilation. :)

I checked the event viewer again and all of the critical errors are the same thing.

(Was not entirely sure how to get my specs but I ran CPU-Z and GPU-Z and came back with this.)

https://i.imgur.com/cnSkflY.png

The cable itself was damaged- the plug pegs were bashed in a way that meant I couldn't plug it in- I believe this to have happened during transit, so I replaced it with a similar plug found in my house.

You could run a app like Speccy to get most of your system specs.
It will also help to know the model of your PSU
What temperatures do your system have when just browsing the web for an hour?
If you have the time, reboot in 'Safe Mode' and leave the computer on for as long as possible and see if it powers off.

Danniosaur

Reputable
Mar 5, 2017

Oh! I also forgot to mention that when I went to disable the restarts upon crashing, that box was already unchecked- I may have tried that as a solution in the past..

Here is what Speccy gave me!

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
AMD FX-6300 32 °C
Vishera 32nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
MSI 760GM-P23(FX) (MS-7641) (CPU1) 33 °C
Graphics
S271HL (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (MSI) 29 °C
Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-35WN4A0 ATA Device (SATA) 30 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
High Definition Audio Device

How would I find out about my PSU?

Everything seems normal

You might need to look at the PSU from within the case.
If the info of the PSU is in one of the sides against the PC case, then you won't be able to see it unless is removed.
Cheap PSUs could cause random shutdowns

Solution