Question Computer restarts after bios

larrylongbottom

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Hello Everyone

I was hoping someone here may be able to aid me with my issue.

Yesterday my pc booted to a blank screen and cmd prompt.

I was able to access windows using explorer.exe and and and updated my version of windows 10 and run defender but the issue persisted on restart.

I then decided to completely erase and reinstall my OS on my SSD in hope this would resolve my issue

I create a USB windows 10 drive how ever each time I am attempting to boot from the drive my pc restarts around 2 mins in.

I then installed ubuntu onto a different usb drive and attempted to boot from that and the same thing happens, nearly 2 mins booting my PC restarts.

I have since updated my motherboards BIOS, clear my motherboards CMOS removed my RAM and reseated and am currently testing with a new stick of RAM. I have removed my GPU, case connectors and chassis fans.

Currently my pc has one fresh stick of RAM, CPU, CPU fan and PSU connected and still I find my computer reboots during the first 2 mins of loading a fresh copy of ubuntu or windows installer

My CPU appears fine temp wise when in the bios and can stay in the bios with no issue but when booting to any USB device shuts down around the 2min mark

Below are my specs and any advise would be greatly appreciated.

CPU intel i7 -6700k
PSU EVGA supernova 650w gs gold
Motherboard Asus maximus VIII hero
RAM Corsair DDR4 16gb @2400mhz
Case corsair 400c

If your PS is rock-solid stable, then it does sound like a flaky SSD.

If you have a spare PSU that is up to the system load, swap it out and test it with that. If not, load test the PSU and monitor it with an oscilloscope.

Easiest (well, in my book, anyway) and cheapest (for the most part) way to test out the SSD hypothesis is to get a 120GB Kingston SSD from Amazon (seriously, these things are only 20 bucks with free shipping).

Do your install on that, and see how it goes.

Reactions: larrylongbottom

larrylongbottom

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Big thanks for the replies AllanGH & THEearthISFlat

I have removed all storage devices and tested with a new hdd and issue is ongoing.

I will attempt to reinstall unbuntu onto a new usb stick.

But just to clarify the issue occurs without a ssd/hdd attached.

I am in the process of sourcing a second Psu at present.

Again thanks for your time

larrylongbottom

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Issue ongoing with usb stick running linux no storage devices apart from bootable usb stick connected again shutting down after 2mins.

My next step will be to remove from case and attempt to test in case its due to a short caused by the case.

A friend will be bringing a PSU over in a few days time to test will update my post.

Still open to any ideas or suggestions though!

fannyfarts

Reputable
Aug 10, 2014
I'd say power supply is a strong suggestion , how many peripheral devices do you have plugged into the usb 5v rail, it could be causing the usb to have power dips in effect disconnecting it from the computer and then the default I would assume to make the computer reset.

Try running the computer with solely the usb stick in a rear Io port, usb 3.0 if possible (think power is delegated to them first as they're higher power draw)

And have you tested the stick to make sure the stick isn't faulty?

I had loads of issues with my Corsair k70 and death adder when I used them on a pc with a cheap / dying psu, they caused all usb devices to restart as it would make the power supply trip.

If you pull that MoBo, carefully inspect around the mounting screw holes, on both sides of the board, to make sure that there aren't any traces coming in contact with the screw heads or metal flats/standoffs--obviously not an issue if you are using nylon standoffs--and use fibre or plastic insulating washers.

I have seen weirdness with some motherboards where traces would intermittently ground-out because of motherboard vibrations caused by fans, etc.

It is, admittedly, a long-shot failure mode, but I have seen it in the past; and thought it worth mentioning.

larrylongbottom

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
@ fannyfarts & AllanGH

Again big thank you for the
suggestions.

Just an update. I have tested the bootable USB stick with my laptop and both have no issue booting into Linux
when connected to another computer.

I tested each USB port on the motherboard with the USB and the same issue occurs.

I have removed the motherboard from the case to rule out any kind of contact issue with the case and
unfortunately the issue is also ongoing.

I am still waiting to test with a second PSU
and will update my post.

I am praying to the dark tech gods that it is just the PSU.

All of the parts are less than 3 years old but really just need to narrow
down what part of the hardware has failed.

Again I want to thank everyone for their replies and am open to any other suggestions

Last edited: