Computer restarts after turning on and showing DVI no signal.

JohnnyBme

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
Hey, out of the blue my computer crashed, and after that each time it opened it showed DVI No Signal and went on to restart. I could only open the pc in safe mode.
I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers in safe mode and rebooted - I could open the computer and use it with a driverless graphics card. I thought it was something with the drivers, but reinstalling didn't help either. So I formatted my pc, and now I'm running on a clean windows 7.
There is nothing installed besides basic drivers for the motherboard, and the latest nvidia driver.
(My graphics card is GTX 670), simply, it could run when the driver wasn't installed.
After I installed the driver - every time I open my computer, it turns on normally, then DVI No Signal appears, and it restarts.
I can choose between the Safe Modes or Star Windows Normally.
If I start windows normally, it shows the DVI No Signal and restarts again, it seems like the GPU can't run with a driver installed.
Is my GTX 670 dead?

Solution

I have had to refurbish nearly all of my PCs' PSUs at one time or another due to issues with random reboots, failures to boot and boot-looping. It usually starts with one random reboot or shutdown for no apparent reason and becomes increasingly frequent from there. Sometimes the trouble starts before the year mark, sometimes it takes a few years or longer, it depends on the PSU's overall quality, your luck with material quality/defects and the PSU's operating environment.

Three years is around the mark where I would start to expect trouble from ok-ish quality PSUs like the Naxn. If you can borrow a higher quality PSU, that would be the simplest way to verify if the PSU is indeed a...

JohnnyBme

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013

Enermax Naxn 550W
I think like 3 years old

Could the power supply just die out of the blue?

InvalidError

Titan

I have had to refurbish nearly all of my PCs' PSUs at one time or another due to issues with random reboots, failures to boot and boot-looping. It usually starts with one random reboot or shutdown for no apparent reason and becomes increasingly frequent from there. Sometimes the trouble starts before the year mark, sometimes it takes a few years or longer, it depends on the PSU's overall quality, your luck with material quality/defects and the PSU's operating environment.

Three years is around the mark where I would start to expect trouble from ok-ish quality PSUs like the Naxn. If you can borrow a higher quality PSU, that would be the simplest way to verify if the PSU is indeed a major factor in this issue. You could also have a look inside the PSU to see if the output capacitors have visible bulges or signs of leakage (crusty, crumbly orange-brown stuff) on their tops. Failing capacitors do not always visibly bulge or leak but it is still a simple and reasonably reliable trouble indicator.

Solution

JohnnyBme

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013

The PSU looks fine.
I opened the pc on safe mode and removed all the drivers, and installed them again, but one version prior to what is out now.
Now, it crashes as before but I can't even get into Safe Mode. (Safe mode with networking crashes instantly and Safe Mode is stuck on the "Please wait..." window forever)
What should I do?

If it helps - here is my exact PSU http://www.enermax.com/home.php?fn=eng/product_a1_1_2&lv0=1&lv1=42&no=165

InvalidError

Titan
Sounds like something corrupted your Windows install. You might want to try running memtest86 for a few hours and re-installing Windows on a new/spare HDD just in case. If your PC has an IGP, you might want to try using that during the re-install to reduce the likelihood that dirty power is corrupting data and eliminate the possibility of a failing 670 as a variable.

JohnnyBme

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013

Reinstalled windows again, this time my hdd was not connected.
I ran memtest86 and it showed everything is fine.
I installed an older nvidia driver and the same thing happens.
I think I'm quitting to calling some IT guy