Question Computer restarts at weird points in games

Jul 13, 2019
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo...

I've been screwing with this computer I built around Christmas of two years ago. Initially, I was having a problem where it would hard freeze at any random point for any given reason. After spending a lot of time with it, replacing a few things, and crying a bit, I concluded that the problem was with my Motherboard. Odd, since it was one of the newest elements in my computer, but whatever. The constantly changing symptoms of the freezes and the ruling out of pretty much everything else brought me to this.

So yesterday, I swapped everything from my ASRock AB350M PRO4 motherboard to an ASUS Prime a320m-k. And...it works! That is, until I try to game. About 30 minutes into Rainbow Six Siege and pretty much any time I try to play Shadow of Mordor my computer now restarts. Quickly, as if there had been a power surge. I'm so ready to throw this whole rig away. I know enough about computers to build one, but not enough to troubleshoot it to this extent.

What I've Done:
I've torture tested my CPU. Let it run at 100% forever. Temp never exceeds 63*C.
I've monitored the temp on my GPU. When it restarted while loading into Shadow of Mordor, my card hadn't even broken 43*C yet.
Updated drivers far and wide. Its possible I've missed a motherboard driver or two, but I downloaded the chipset drivers for sure. I've uninstalled the NVIDIA drivers and reinstalled them like 4 times.
Replaced the graphics card: This is kind of the weird part. Replaced my GTX 1070 with an N460GTX I had lying around and (though I had to drop the video settings) I was able to play Shadow of Mordor for probably 20 minutes without any issue, far more than I had managed on the other card. I would REALLY like to not replace the GPU.

Computer Specs:
Windows 10 64 Bit
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME A320M-K
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1500X Quad Core 3.50GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070
RAM: 2 sticks of 8GB Corsair Vengance Ram, I don't know the specific mhz number
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 600W
Let me know if you need anything else.

I've been trying to get this PC up and running reliably for like 2 years. I do video work, play games, and do school work on this machine and with all of the money I've poured into it, I'd really just like for it to work. Again, I'm not super knowledgeable on these things, but if you ask a question I can probably google it and figure it out. Any solution you guys can offer would amazing.

Thanks for reading.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
When systems power off like that suddenly, it's usually a hardware problem.
Thing is, the first suspect should've been the power supply. Thermaltake makes a fair bit of junk psus, and that unit is one of 'em.
Do you have a set budget so I could recommend something better?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Here's a few options:
PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($74.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $74.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-13 12:29 EDT-0400

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($77.88 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $77.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-13 12:30 EDT-0400

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $69.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-13 12:34 EDT-0400

TRENDING THREADS