Computer Restarts During games

GeneralCaptain

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
I know there is a large amount of forum posts with this problem; however, I couldn't find a person with my exact trouble.
When I play games my computer restarts, not always after a long time, as it may restart 20-2+ hours in. Other times, my monitor tells me it is going into Power Saving mode and when I check the event log it says, blue screen, mini dump.

My Specs
Intel I7 3770K
Vengeance 8GB Ram
2TB HDD
EVGA GTX 570 GPU
PSU 750W Modular Offbrand
MOBO Asus P8 z77-v

I have run Memtest+ for 8 passes, at around 11 hours. I have checked temps for both cpu and gpu (they are normal according to the posts I have checked). I am starting to suspect my PSU, because of all the other forum posts, but I have reservations because it is only around 1 year old.

GeneralCaptain

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
Yea that is where I have been sitting, but I wanted to make sure with the people here. I don't understand the power saving problem I am having though, as it doesn't restart my computer it just sits there.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
With the next program (freeware) you can take a look at the power rails to see if there are values that aren't good,
hwinfo32
Open it,check=V sensors and click run.A new window will open with all kinds of info about your hardware like temps,but also the voltages.Keep it open for a while and check if there are rails that come close to getting out of atx specs.

The atx specs are plus or minus 5% for the postive rails and plus or minus for the negative rails.For example the +12 voltrail needs to be wthin 11.4<->12.6V.
Are there to big fluctuations than it's also not good.I thought also a margin of 5% for that.So 11.8<->12.3 ok,bigger than that not good.I'm not sure about the last values,but you get the picture i presume.

About the atx spcs,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX#ATX12V_v2.3

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

That's good,but what about the other rails?

I got a similar board (the pro version) with a corsair ax 760 and it wouldn't start from time to time,i got also messages that the lines where out of spec,turned out to be the 3.3 rail.With another psu and only one gpu it doesn't do that.

armenier

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
im having this same issue, however after replacing my psu and ram it still has not changed. I can definitely say its not due to the power supply , could it be the gpu or possibly just windows 8? I keep having restarts after 5-10mins into gpu intensive games like Dota 2 and rising storm RO2.

I currently have a gtx 780 .

GeneralCaptain

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

Are you trying to overclock?

RameezMalik

Reputable
Jun 22, 2014
Guys. I had the same problem. I had built a gaming machine and it was hurting my soul because it kept restarting (No BSOD. Black screen and then restart) after about ten minutes into a game (Bioshock Infinite, Borderlands 2, Counter Strike: GO).

I replaced my PSU because I had had it a while and it wasn't manufactured by a reputable brand. Made no difference.

I upgraded my stock CPU fan with a proper CPU gaming fan (Thermaltake Frio). Made no difference.

Then, I turned to the graphics card. I've got a GeForce GTX 660. I kept an eye on it's temperature during gaming and realised that it was reaching 101 degrees C! That's when I downloaded MSI Afterburner. A great software that enables you to monitor and adjust your graphics card's settings. I set the GPU fan speed as user defined. Now, the GPU temp doesn't exceed 70 degrees C.
This also fixed the restarting whilst under load issue.

Lots of money spent on upgrades I didn't need, but at the end of it, I now have a gaming PC which runs anything I throw at it and still manages to stay cool.

I didn't believe in system fans before, but I do now. The more, the merrier.

Good luck!