Computer Restarts During Games

jbmulder

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Hello,

My computer is restarting during games. I've cleaned out all of the fans, including the fans on the graphics card and in the power supply.

I've swapped the sticks of RAM. I can't even get the computer to restart all the way with one of the sticks. With the other stick of RAM, the computer will work until I play a game.

All temps are normal according to pcwizard.

Here are my specs:
MOBO: Asus M4A87TD EVO
CPU: AMD Phenom II 6 core 1090T @ 3200MHZ
RAM: DDR3 4GB x2
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5700

Other notes: PSU is 750W Rosewill brand. Both the video card and PSU were purchased in March 2010. Everything else in May 2011.

Thanks for your time!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I ran windows mem. diag. on the one stick in there now and it didn't find any errors. Should I use a different diagnostic? On the other stick, I can't even get the computer to start up long enough to run the diagnostic. And using both sticks at the same time will freeze the computer up.

inerax

Distinguished
Run memtest. If you cannot get the computer to start with just 1 stick i bet its RAM.

You could also try just 1 stick in slot 2. I had a slot on my mobo die and that caused all kinds of weird problems.

jbmulder

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Thanks for the response.

I tested the working stick of RAM in slot 3, and I was able to play a game for about 15 minutes with no restarts.

Then my computer restarted.

I also put RAM stick 2 into slot 4 (keeping in stick 1) to see what would happen and the computer could not start up without freezing, as before with RAM stick 2.

Maybe I should just try new RAM? :(

I would test out individual components but this is the only motherboard I have for DDR3 RAM and this PSU is the only one I have that will power my graphics card. I suppose I could hook up the hard drive to another mobo I have, but is it likely that my hard drive is the problem?

Any other suggestions?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the brand of RAM is GSkill. Anyone have experience with their RAM?

I'm here to save the day, it happened for me not long ago!

Either your hardware is getting too hot or, as in my case, your PSU is faulty. Everytime I was gaming my desktop shut Down, and it smelled weird in my room EVERY time. I thought it was the GPU or the CPU that was overheating, but it wasn't after monitoring the heat I saw they was normal.

I tried to change ram, nothing happened, then at last I tried to change the PSU and that was the problem.

It could be your RAM, but check your PSU aswell!

jbmulder

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Thanks for the response.

I went ahead and got a new PSU. It didn't solve the problem.

Next thing I did was get new RAM. That seems to have solved the problem. I've had no restarts since installing the new RAM.

I suppose the only lingering question is what happened to my old RAM that broke it. Something I did?

Thanks for all the help, it's much appreciated.