Question Computer restarts itself (2 components are changed)

Nov 18, 2020
Hello,

I built this computer in 2018 and I've been using it without any problem until the last 3 weeks.
Currently, whenever I try to play WoW or any other program (Furmark etc.) which uses a graphics card, the computer restarts itself.

1. Built this computer:
    • Samsung 970 EVO 250GB M.2 - Solid state drive
    • Intel Core i5 8400 - Processor
    • Corsair Vengeance LPX - 16 GB RAM
    • MSI GTX 1060 6GT OCV1
    • Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L - Minitowermodel
    • MSI Z370M GAMING PRO AC - Motherboard
    • EVGA Supernova 550 G2
  2. Since there was no space for WoW, bought:
    • Western Digital Wd40Ezrz Blue 4 Tb Hdd Desktop Sata 6 Gb/S
  3. Removed the games from SSD and re-installed them to HDD.
  4. In a few days, the computer started to restart itself while playing WoW.
  5. Bought a high-quality thermal paste. Cleaned and refreshed GPU and CPU paste. I think it made it a bit worse. According to some tests like Furmark, it was shutting down when GPU is around 75 degrees. CPU was ok.
  6. I brought the PC to a local technical service. They told me that the CPU fan needs to be replaced, even if I told them about tests.
  7. I accepted their suggestion, and they replaced it to:
    • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ml120
  8. When I brought it back home, I directly started playing WoW Classic (which is a low requirement game of WoW). It shut down itself 2 times in 5 minutes. I called them and they told me that it was fine at service and passed 3DMark etc. they wanted me to bring it back tomorrow morning.
  9. After the call, I kept trying to play retail WoW (higher requirements), it never restarts itself for a week.
  10. I brought it back to technical service, they told me that GPU needs to be replaced.
  11. I bought this Graphic card and nothing changed:
    • Sapphire PULSE RX 5600 XT 6G GDDR6
Tried FurMark stress test with new GPU: It restarted after 8 minutes with 75 degrees and between 96-99 percent GPU load.

Event Viewer:
93975372a45bddf25b54535c44a9957d.png

Downloaded OCCT from https://www.ocbase.com/
OCCT test passed:
50e1fb3e60bae4bd8ed2ed98a1ee9c02.png

Power test restarted in 5 mins:
a040efc7800c8618e56fd6817c50e204.png

I couldn't find the problem, and I don't want to bring it to that local technical service again. Can anyone have a suggestion?

Hey there,

Random restarts like that (but typicaly at load) generally point to an issue with the PSU. Your PSU is quite a good one, but I suspect it's a few years old?

I'd start there. Maybe you have a second PSU you could swap out, or a friend who could lend you one to test. Otherwise bring back to the store, and get them to swap out the PSU.

I can't believe they got you to change GPU and Cooler without a concern for the PSU. I mean, they should have gone there first to try diagnose with the description you've given.

Nov 18, 2020
Hey there,

Random restarts like that (but typicaly at load) generally point to an issue with the PSU. Your PSU is quite a good one, but I suspect it's a few years old?

I'd start there. Maybe you have a second PSU you could swap out, or a friend who could lend you one to test. Otherwise bring back to the store, and get them to swap out the PSU.

I can't believe they got you to change GPU and Cooler without a concern for the PSU. I mean, they should have gone there first to try diagnose with the description you've given.

Thanks for your answer, at weekend I'll try with a friend's PSU. (Bought it in 2018 so not so old.)

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead