Question Computer restarts mid boot to bios, occasionally loads and restarts a few mins later

Roseweave

Reputable
Mar 16, 2015
I have a Windows 7 PC, it's a pretty ageing mix of components, Athlon II 1075T Processor, 760GM-E motherboard, and a newer Geforce GTX 1060.

It's worked fine for a while, but recently both my GPU and PSU died and had to be replaced. At some point, my computer crashed and restarted and hasn't worked since.

It doesn't seem to be a software issue though, I can't even get a Windows 7 boot/repair disc to fully boot. Linux based boot discs tend to work, though a larger one I tried did trigger a restart. I've done extensive tests on the ram(both the regular ram and GPU ram) and nothing turns up.

I know this is kind of vague, but what component might be responsible for this? I feel like maybe my old PSU caused damage to several components, and it may be the motherboard or possibly even CPU. Otherwise I'm at a loss. I'm looking to get a new motherboard and PSU. I'm worried it could be a fault with my new PSU or graphics card, but the graphics card at least seems unlikely. How could I tell if it's the PSU? The fact that it always seems to happen in the exact same place consistently makes it seem like it's not a PSU issue, and there are no graphical glitches when it does load, so unlikely to be GPU. It is curious that if I leave the computer off for extended periods, it may boot into windows, though will reboot after a while.

(I've reset the BIOS, changed the battery and all sorts of things)

Roseweave

Reputable
Mar 16, 2015
Hi, the graphics card should not be overwhelming my PSU. The PSU is ~700W which is bigger than my last PSU and the max draw of my new GPU is lower than my last one. There were also no issues playing lengthy games of Overwatch until the eventual crash(which happened doing other stuff). I am using an adapter to connect the Molex to the PCI-E power slot though, so that may be causing issues. It was fine with my previous card. The BIOS options don't seem to want me try using the internal GFX card to test.

It also seems strange it'd do that mid boot.

It's a Seasonic 700W Modular, not sure of the exact model.