Computer restarts on benchmarking

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ElectronGuyzz

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015
Hello

I ran Firestrike 1.1 benchmark a few times without any restarting issues. Now I've been getting random restarts while running the benchmark, if the computer starts back up it says:

"Power supply surges detected during the previous power on.
ASUS Anti-Surge was triggered to protect from unstable power supply unit!
Press F1 to Run SETUP"

So I am actually trying to overclock my GPU and after overclocking running a benchmark. Can it be the issue?

Specs:

PSU: Corsair CX600M
Motherboard: Asus z170 pro gaming
CPU: I5 6600k (overclocked to 4.6GHz)
GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4g (Core Voltage (mV) locked , Core Clock (MHz) +170 , Memory Clock (MHz) +160 , Power Limit (%) 110 , Temp. Limit (Celsius) 91)

If you would need more information about something, I'd be happy to give.

Thanks a lot for any help.

Solution
if it doesnt do it with the gpu at stock speed then yes its your overclock

got the same graphics card you should be able to add a small amount of extra voltage to it

replace the PSU, your problem will go away. those corsair CX units are notoriously poor quality units. Your motherboard is WARNING YOU that the power it's getting from the power supply is poor and it's shutting down to protect itself.

replace it before you find yourself replacing half your system when it fails and kills off most of the electronics in your box.

get something from tier 1 or 2 on this list
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html#xtor=EPR-8886

ElectronGuyzz

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015

Yeah i'm about to buy corsair rmx650 but not yet.
So i also reformatted my windows, ran benchmark once.. no problems at all.

ElectronGuyzz

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015
Update: So I ran many tests for now without overclocks and with overclocks and seems like all runs perfectly fine. No crashes.
So.. what I did was I reinstalled GPU and also reinstalled windows 10.
Now the MSI Afterburner shows me GPU Clock 135MHz , Mem Clock 324 MHz and Voltage 0 mV when i'm not running the benchmark. I overclocked my GPU to Core Clock +180 and memory clock +160 and benchmark seems to run without any issues.
Before I had the GPU Clock and Mem Clock on quite high number, like running a benchmark all the time . I am quite sure that GPU caused these issues I had. Interesting is that now when I'm running benchmark the voltage shows me 0mV all the time.

ElectronGuyzz

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015
For now I probably found the problem which caused it.. Its Shadowplay, as innocent as it looks, as soon as I turned Shadowplay on I saw that GPU Clock and Mem clock went up like you're benchmarking.. all maxed out. It also starts burning the GPU so if you may can have issues with GPU temperatures, turn the Shadowplay off from its on and off button.

blazeaglory

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017
Yes a better PSU is always better but anytime you try to push your GPU passed its limits you will have issues. I doubt its the CPU.

Its between getting a better PSU and running your GPU right under its "breaking point".

ElectronGuyzz

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015

Well, for now I've got Corsair RM750x psu and changed few other parts..
I runned with cx600m like a year more and had absolutely no issues at all .

The problem was that I did not connect 24pin connector correctly.. I'm not sure why do I need to push them so freaking hard into this mobo's plug but after that I had absolutely no issues anymore ..

blazeaglory

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017

Excellent! So I am to assume your GPU just wasnt getting enough "juice"?

Thats good to know because right now I am using an older (cheaper) 600w 75% PSU and the same thing happens when I try to push my GPU too hard. So maybe its not just my GPU breaking point? A new PSU is on my list of things to buy.

ElectronGuyzz

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015
Nah, its definetely not the problem of the GPU. You should definetely check the connections on motherboard and gpu :)
Try to push the cables harder into the plugs. If that doesn't work, something's wrong with one of your components.. I assume its a PSU. Be careful, the low quality PSU can die really easilly and as it has no protections on it, it may also take other parts with it.

Just wait for your new PSU ;) Not sure which one you've got right now, but it seems low quality one to me.

TRENDING THREADS