[SOLVED] Computer restarts once in a while - CPU Temps are fine

Nov 2, 2018
Hi everyone

I am not sure how to approach this thread but I had a few times my computes restart during stress while gaming. I checked my CPU temperatures and seem totaly normal. during idle 38 and while gaming max 59.

My specs are listed below:

CPU: Ryzen 7 1800x (no OC)
GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC2
Motherboard: Asus Prime B350-Plus
Water Cooling: Kraken 62x
Memory: 16gb DDR4 2133
Power Supply: Corsair HX850 Gold

My power supply came from a friend who actually had to go get it fixed. He told me that it wasnt turning on and he got it fixed and told it was working totally fine.

I have this pc for about a 1 and I dont know if the power supply is the one which is dying. It does make sense if it is.

Appreciate it pals.

Solution
My canned random reboot Rant
Random reboots are usually caused by the PSU, the RAM or software AND in that order of likely-hood.
PSU - If you can borrow/swap a PSU for testing. sibling/friend you can swap out the PSU and each system will be testing the other.
RAM - run the system with one stick of RAM see if stability returns if not Test all the RAM with memtest 86 for three passes or overnight. if you get no 0 errors after more than three passes the ram is good. with the random reboots I would suggest running this test after the PSU swap or after the PSU has been cleared.
Software - Drivers or other issues can cause reboots. Boot to a linux distro on a USB drive. mint linux will boot to memtest86. you can run the OS from the USB and...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Only under load, while gaming?

What case do you have? Any what does your airflow look like? Could be the VRMs are overheating.
Are you monitoring GPU temps?

Was the HX850 RMA'd to Corsair? Or "repaired" elsewhere? Unless your friend was using an identical system, the fact it 'worked' for them, does not guarantee it'll work with the components you have -- the fact it was defective in some way initially is not a good sign.

Nov 2, 2018

I believe it happened in idle but not so sure because I was not in my pc at moment. But yes, the times that happened were gaming.

My case is a NZXT S340 elite with two 120mm fans. Air flow is fine. Right next to window as well. My VRMs are simple ones. 2x8gb both 2133 but different brands. Crucial and Corsair. Dont know if that makes any difference.

I am alway monitoring my GPU and CPU temps in my secondary monitor.

And no, he did not repair the PSU in Corsair. Just some random store that fixes PSUs. His setup at the time was 1070, i5, 16gb. My setup is definitely more aggresive then his right now.

Here is the link of my temps.

https://ibb.co/k2yViL

Nov 2, 2018

Alright! I will give it a try. Since the problem is not something that happens a lot, I need to give a try and be back with answer. Thanks for the help.

larrycumming

Prominent
Aug 15, 2018
are you getting BSOD'd or just restart?

I would try a new PSU or atleast RMA it if I were you.

If your pc is in a room full of electronics, make sure you are not overloading the house circuit that your pc plugged in

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
My canned random reboot Rant
Random reboots are usually caused by the PSU, the RAM or software AND in that order of likely-hood.
PSU - If you can borrow/swap a PSU for testing. sibling/friend you can swap out the PSU and each system will be testing the other.
RAM - run the system with one stick of RAM see if stability returns if not Test all the RAM with memtest 86 for three passes or overnight. if you get no 0 errors after more than three passes the ram is good. with the random reboots I would suggest running this test after the PSU swap or after the PSU has been cleared.
Software - Drivers or other issues can cause reboots. Boot to a linux distro on a USB drive. mint linux will boot to memtest86. you can run the OS from the USB and await reboot.
end canned rant

Solution