[SOLVED] Computer Restarts randomly after installing a new 8 GB RAM

Ahazuerus

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019
So I bought a new RAM to upgrade my existing 8 gb ram (Hyper X 8GB DDR4 2400mhz) . The RAM that I bought has the same brand and specs making it 16 GB DDR4 2400mhz
But once I have installed the new RAM, the computer keeps restarting and reverting back from 16 GB to 8GB RAM even though 2 x 8GB are installed as shown in the task manager and computer properties.
I tried using both rams alone and are working fine.

I bought the RAMs separately but with the same brand and specs.

Here are my PC specs:
Ryzen 5 1600
MSI B350 gaming pro (2 ram slots)
PowerBox 500 Watts True Rated
Palit GTX 1070
Hyper X 8GB DDR 4 2400 mhz x 2
Kingston 480 GB SSD

Any thoughts ? Thanks in Advance.

Last edited:
Solution
While it usually works, just getting a RAM stick from the same brand/specs doesn't always work. Only RAM manufactured/tested together and sold as a kit for this purpose is guaranteed to work. It would have been a much better idea to get 2x8 GB of RAM that's actually of a clock speed you want to use with a Ryzen CPU and sell the old slow stick rather than doubling down on the inadequate one.

Honestly, I'm too busy being frightened at the dodgy PSU that's only actually a 360W PSU at best that you have powering a GTX 1070.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
While it usually works, just getting a RAM stick from the same brand/specs doesn't always work. Only RAM manufactured/tested together and sold as a kit for this purpose is guaranteed to work. It would have been a much better idea to get 2x8 GB of RAM that's actually of a clock speed you want to use with a Ryzen CPU and sell the old slow stick rather than doubling down on the inadequate one.

Honestly, I'm too busy being frightened at the dodgy PSU that's only actually a 360W PSU at best that you have powering a GTX 1070.

Reactions: Ahazuerus
Solution

Ahazuerus

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019

I see thanks for the heads up regarding the PSU , do you also recommend that I should purchase a better PSU ?
Also purchasing RAMs together is a must for compatibility purposes ?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I see thanks for the heads up regarding the PSU , do you also recommend that I should purchase a better PSU ?
Also purchasing RAMs together is a must ?

I absolutely would. The Corsair CX (no green letters on the PSU, that's the much older, inferior line) is the cheapest I think you'd get away with safely. Presumably you want to keep this PC in service long-term!

Generally speaking, you want to purchase RAM together when possible. Now, not everyone does that -- my 32 GB in my daily rig are identical 2x8 packages but bought at different times -- but you don't have to be prepared for the possibility that they won't get along. RAM that's sold together is specifically tested to be working together.

This would have been a good opportunity get better RAM; clock speed is quite important to Ryzen CPUs, certainly compared to Intel CPUs. 2400 RAM is providing an extra limit to how much you'll get out of your Ryzen.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
First gen Ryzen should work with 3000 Mhz RAM but 3200 Mhz is questionable. I have a Ryzen 1700 and 3000 Mhz RAM. I've tried OCing to 3200 and 3333 Mhz but then Asus releases a BIOS update and what used to be a stable OC is no longer. So I gave up. Can't really tell the difference either. I just like overclocking. RAM is a beast to overclock, so much to learn, so many variables, you can spend months on it easy.

Ahazuerus

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019
I absolutely would. The Corsair CX (no green letters on the PSU, that's the much older, inferior line) is the cheapest I think you'd get away with safely. Presumably you want to keep this PC in service long-term!

Generally speaking, you want to purchase RAM together when possible. Now, not everyone does that -- my 32 GB in my daily rig are identical 2x8 packages but bought at different times -- but you don't have to be prepared for the possibility that they won't get along. RAM that's sold together is specifically tested to be working together.

This would have been a good opportunity get better RAM; clock speed is quite important to Ryzen CPUs, certainly compared to Intel CPUs. 2400 RAM is providing an extra limit to how much you'll get out of your Ryzen.

I understand, thanks for this great information! I learned something new.
Anyways is there a temporary fix like using A-XMP or changing the Timing or lowering the frequency from the original cause I've read some stuff and watch some videos on YT and it worked for some people. You got any thoughts? Sorry I'm really a newbie here on building my PC thank you for your patience !

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I understand, thanks for this great information! I learned something new.
Anyways is there a temporary fix like using A-XMP or changing the Timing or lowering the frequency from the original cause I've read some stuff and watch some videos on YT and it worked for some people. You got any thoughts? Sorry I'm really a newbie here on building my PC thank you for your patience !

If the timings are already identical, there's not really that much to do manually.

Are you using the correct two slots specified by the motherboard's manual? This can make a difference too.

Ahazuerus

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019
I only have two slots in my motherboard and to be honest I haven't completely read the manual. I'll give it a try and I'll see what will happen. But surely buying RAMs together is the best decision I should've done. Thanks for the advice sir !