[SOLVED] Computer Restarts Randomly (Comprehensive Information Provided)

zanewatson6319

Prominent
Dec 5, 2018
So a friend of a friend picked out the parts for my friends computer and I built it. After about a year or so his house had a surge and the computer went out and has been randomly restarting ever since. (Doesn't give any explanation or any crash logs.)
The best we can theorize is that this happens most frequently when in low intensity applications (Browsing the web) or in very particular games such as Imperator Rome. What's weird is he can place something like Crusader Kings II for HOURS and never have a restart.

What I have done:

The PSU has been replaced 3 times with identical components straight off the shelf.
The Motherboard has been replaced after the PSU didn't solve the issue. (Reset CMOS on old board and new, has updated BIOS on the old one, new one is close to being up to date.)
I've completely wiped and re partitioned the SSD while simultaneously reinstalling windows.
We've plugged a light into the same surge protector that the computer is on to see if maybe it's the current from the wall, but the computer still restarts with nothing else on the protector being effected.
I've ran MemTest86 and the one built into Windows.
I've remotely monitored using HWINFO before a crash and didn't see any changes in Temperature that would cause the error.

This link is to my personal webserver with a .html file generated by HWINFO if anyone needs to see the complete information. If you do not wish to visit for the report I can try and fill in down below as asked.
System Summary:

Processor: Intel Core i7-8700 3.2mhz
Motherboard: MSI B360 Gaming Plus
Ram (x4): G Skill DDR4-2400 1200.5MHz (8gb)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PSU: Corsair CX750M

A Drive (Primary Storage): WDC WD10EZEX-08WN4A0 (2TB HDD 7200 RPM)
C Drive: WDC WDBNCE2500PNC (250GB SSD)

Short of rebuilding or taking the RAM out of my computer (which is compatible) and plugging it into test that component. I'm at a loss and need direction. I appreciate your time in advance.

Axwen

Solution
With four sticks of ram test with each on it's own. Also might be possible that the search damaged the cpu so is there a shop where the pc can be tested with another cpu?

Lutfij

Titan
You never partition an SSD, unless you're referring to the partitions created during the installation of your OS(system reserved and UEFI boot). How many passes did you run memtest on the system? Is it possible to state which BIOS version you're on? You also forgot to mention the make and model of the chassis. See if breadboarding the system while connected to another wall out changes your experience.

zanewatson6319

Prominent
Dec 5, 2018
I'll need to look in a little bit but I during the reinstallation of windows (the error happened before hand) I had to diskpart from the USB I was installing windows from and set the disk to actually be usable via MBR and allocated the maximum storage to a primary partition as nothing was present on the SSD. (I think an original install had failed but this was a month or so ago.)

HwINFO says UEFI isn't enabled.
I did 1 pass but because he doesn't have UEFI boot I had to use the memtest version that was compatible.

Chassis has no dicernable markings to indicate what it is so I'll have to wait for the original builder to contact me, hopefully he can find the case in his order history.

Sorry for not being as helpful as I would like to be. This wasn't my build that I'm trying to fix. :/

BIOS:
American Megatrends
10/9/2018

Last edited:

zanewatson6319

Prominent
Dec 5, 2018
Update: Swapped the RAM for one of my sticks and the computer still crashed around the same time as what we would expect.

I also traded the Sata cable to the SSD just for Curiosity sake.
Installed the Western Digital SSD Control Panel and it says that it's up to date.

Could there be something with either the SSD (As it was introduced around the beginning of the year and is the newest part?) Could the Chassis be causing the issue somehow?

I also Ran a GPU Stress Test for 30 minutes with Temperatures running in nominal range.

CPU Burner put the CPU at hot within 5 minutes but it never with critical in the 30 minute time period.

Once again, the issues are either with specific games, or like browsing reddit.

zanewatson6319

Prominent
Dec 5, 2018
Breadboxing tomorrow.

In addition to above. I've removed the SSD and did a fresh install on the HDD and the issue still occurs, but less often as before. (In addition to updating the BIOS to the latest version)

I still think it's weird that this issue mostly occurs in low intensity situations and can't be tripped by intensive use.

Thanks for the help so far!

Edit: Ran in Safemode for about an hour with no crash, but I'll set it up to run longer tonight. Hopefully can provide more information tomorrow after the breadbox.

Last edited:

zanewatson6319

Prominent
Dec 5, 2018
Before the reinstall of Windows I had updated the BIOS and the intel chipset (potentially the right one on the chipset. Their website isn't the best)

I did remove the GPU. Could barely get past the windows login on Integrated (Non-safemode). Sometimes I wouldn't even be able to type the PIN in.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Before the reinstall of Windows I had updated the BIOS and the intel chipset (potentially the right one on the chipset. Their website isn't the best)

I did remove the GPU. Could barely get past the windows login on Integrated (Non-safemode). Sometimes I wouldn't even be able to type the PIN in.
But do any restarts occur? Correct me If I am mistaken but the issue is that it randomly restarts?
If it doesn't restart with GPU, then it could well be a faulty GPU.

Reinstalling windows would probably solidly confirm if it is hardware or software.

zanewatson6319

Prominent
Dec 5, 2018
I've reinstalled windows three times. The first time was before a mobo change. the second after. The third was when I removed the SSD to test if it was the issue.

The issue is that it will restart randomly.
After removal of the GPU temporarily, I couldn't ever really get past the windows login without it restarting almost instantly. So it went from random restarts to can't even really get anywhere before a restart.

zanewatson6319

Prominent
Dec 5, 2018
Hate to bring this topic back from the death but for those who have any of the same issues. The damaged component ended up being the CPU after the surge. We replaced the motherboard, and PSU previously to no avail.

Works perfectly fine now. :) Thanks to all who helped.