Reputable
Aug 25, 2019
Hello
I am fighting with this awkward problem for a few days now
I have the following configuration (rather old already):

• Intel Core I5 750
  • Motherboard ASUS P7P55DLE
  • RAM - 4 x 2GB DDR3
  • Radeon R9 380 4GB (the video card was bought second hand an year ago)
  • SSD + 2 x HDD 7200rpm
  • PSU Chieftec GPS-550AB A
  • Windows 7

My computer hangs (black screen and then restarts by itself) randomly several times a day
I can easily reproduce this by running Heaven Benchmark 4.0 in DirectX mode (in OpenGL mode it runs without problems. Valley benchmarks runs normally in DirectX mode)
I can also reproduce it in DaVinci Resolve video editor, by playing some time with the sliders - forwarding video clip forth and back (which should be much less stressful compared to Heaven benchmark)

What I tried until now:
  • MemTest86 for a long period of time- no problems found
  • Prime95 for a long period of time - no problems found
  • Some tests for the SSD
  • I used DDU to remove my videocard drivers and reinstalled them
  • I even asked a PC technician to test my PSU and according to him - it is ok and this is probably "some kind of software problem"...
  • I did not find any way to force reinstall DirectX in Win 7 - it always says that I have the latest version (even if I do a registry hack and put some older version in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\DirectX\Version)

I am lost now. I do not know how to verify if my GPU is defective or I have some software problem...
Any help would be appreciated :rolleyes:

Sounds like video card or power supply. As stated, the power supply is very low quality and will not sustain the power rating as it gets warmed up. I would replace it first, as it should be replaced, whether or not it is causing your current issue.

jaxx80

Reputable
Aug 25, 2019
Sounds like video card or power supply. As stated, the power supply is very low quality and will not sustain the power rating as it gets warmed up. I would replace it first, as it should be replaced, whether or not it is causing your current issue.

Yesterday I noticed how easy is to reproduce the problem in DaVinci Resolve Video editor only by running some video processing for a minute or two - the computer restarts. The temperature of the GPU is around 55 Celsius at that time, so the heat is not an issue (compared to when running Heaven benchark for a prolonged period of time). I noticed that if I underclock my GPU using MSI afterburner from 918/1375 to 860/1288, the computer stops restarting when doing video processing in Resolve...
Any ideas?

Yesterday I noticed how easy is to reproduce the problem in DaVinci Resolve Video editor only by running some video processing for a minute or two - the computer restarts. The temperature of the GPU is around 55 Celsius at that time, so the heat is not an issue (compared to when running Heaven benchark for a prolonged period of time). I noticed that if I underclock my GPU using MSI afterburner from 918/1375 to 860/1288, the computer stops restarting when doing video processing in Resolve...
Any ideas?
Yes. Less power consumption for the power supply would be one thing.

jaxx80

Reputable
Aug 25, 2019
Ok. I may buy a new PSU in this case. The problem is that a good PSU will probably cost more than my whole current cofiguration :)
But may be I can buy it now, and use it also in the future when I decide to buy a new configuration...
What PSU would be ok with my current configuration but will also work with something like Ryzen 3600 + GeForce RTX 2070 in the future?

Any ideas?
Pretty much confirmed here and by others that you need a better power supply. I've actually experienced a similar thing with a GTX 460 768MB in my HTPC back in 2009-10. Would reboot unless I underclocked the video card If I pushed it too hard. I got a Corsair 650watt and the problem went away.

TRENDING THREADS