[SOLVED] Computer restarts seemingly at random, maybe when under load ?

May 29, 2021
CPU: Intel i7-6700
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G3
Storage: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120 GB, 250 GB & ST2000DX002-2DV164 2TB

(Sorry if that's not enough system info, let me know what else I need and how to get it).

This started about a week ago when a new game came out, KnockOut City. At first I was playing the game fine, but at some point the computer would randomly start restarting. I thought maybe it was an issue with that game, but I started seeing that issue in other games that I've played for years without issue. Sometimes I've even seen it just trying to join a discord voice chat or watching a youtube video. Most the time I can do low impact stuff like web browsing and local files without issue. This last M-F I was able to use remote desktop over VPN to still work remotely without any hassle at all - but that was while utilizing Power Saver setting as one of my troubleshooting steps, which does seem to help to an extent - but doesn't prevent the issue entirely.

Below are all the steps I've attempted in hopes of fixing the issue, but it seems like it's slowly gotten worse over time rather than better.

Troubleshooting Attempts:
  • Run a MemTest64 for 4 hours - came back with no issues.
  • Monitor part temperatures with HWMonitor. Nothing has gone above 60 degrees Celsius.
  • Change my power plan to Power Saver (this seemed to reduce it, but it would still happen almost every game played. Not to mention notably worse performance)
  • Purchase a brand new PSU (the one linked above, previously had a EVGA 650W GQ for years)
  • Reformat my windows 120GB SSD (left the other 2 alone)
  • Run MalwareBytes & CCleaner
  • Test my RAM one at a time in the same slot, same issue
At this point I'm at a complete loss. My friend suggests that at this point it might be something motherboard related, but looking for other opinions/troubleshooting steps in case I'm missing anything. I don't have any other parts other than my old PSU to try swapping in and out to resolve it - might just take it into some tech expert and pay for some extra support at this point.

Solution
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings that correspond with the restarts.

Reliability History uses a timeline format. You may be able to see or otherwise determine that the problems began with the new game.

You can right click any given errors for more detailed information. The information may or may not be helpful.

KnockOut City game - source?

Drives: make, model, capacity, how full? Especially the Window 120 GB drive. 120 GB is overall too small nowadays.

You can also use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (just use only one at a time) to observe system performance.

Boot up and watch the system for a few minutes. Then slide the window to the side and launch KnockOut City. See what...

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings that correspond with the restarts.

Reliability History uses a timeline format. You may be able to see or otherwise determine that the problems began with the new game.

You can right click any given errors for more detailed information. The information may or may not be helpful.

KnockOut City game - source?

Drives: make, model, capacity, how full? Especially the Window 120 GB drive. 120 GB is overall too small nowadays.

You can also use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (just use only one at a time) to observe system performance.

Boot up and watch the system for a few minutes. Then slide the window to the side and launch KnockOut City. See what changes occur with respect to resources being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource. Click the small up or downward pointing arrows (when present) in column headers to sort data.

Solution