[SOLVED] Computer restarts under load without any overheating/No luck with replacing the SMPS

Nimish_rohankar

Honorable
Jun 27, 2016
Hi all,

I have been facing this issue for a month now. Initially, my computer works fine for a good amount of time under load (ranging from 2 hours to 6 hours) before it restarts automatically. After that first automatic restart, when I put load for even a second, the computer restarts. The temperature doesn't even rise in that span. I did some stress tests. It won't restart when I put the load on the processor but when I put the load on my GPU, this issue occurs.

After a while, I figured out that unplugging the 24-pin and the 8-PIN connectors from the motherboard and plugging them back in reset the cycle and I could again get around 2 to 6 hours of load time before the computer restarts and the above process repeats.

I have checked all the components and their temperatures are all in range. I swapped the SMPS and checked both and they are working fine as well. Everything is at stock and no overclocking is done.

Specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Assassin 2
CPU: I7 3930K
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16GB
GPU: GTX 1060
SMPS: Cooler Master bronze 750W

It would great if you can help me in finding the cause of this issue and if there is any solution to it.

Solution
Seems to be motherboard VRM, had a similar issue, here.
P.S. For some reason, my post gets "Awaiting approval" every time, I guess Tom's is trying to hide it 🆒

Anyway, here is a link to it in PDF.

Nimish_rohankar

Honorable
Jun 27, 2016
Since you replaced the power supply and it crashes when the video card is stressed, next thing is to try a different video card, test yours in another system. The card should still be in warranty, they usually have a 3-5 yr warranty.

Hey! Thanks again for your suggestion. I got GTX 1060 3GB from my friend which takes slightly less power than my current GPU and my system is still restarting as soon as I put the load on the GPU. I tested my GPU (GTX 1060 6GB) on his system and it's working fine there. So that rules out the idea of my GPU being at fault. Any suggestions on what could be the next possibility?

Sep 12, 2020
I have a very similar issue, can run CPU benchmark no problems multiple times. Run GPU benchmark and the PC reboots every time, as well in games and rarely in desktop. Everything is new. Anyway, I happened to watch a video where the guy claims there was issue with the CPU cooler in relation to the motherboard. Point being issues ceased after putting in new cooler. Do you happen to have another handy you can try, or maybe your friend does?
I don't unfortunately, but I have bought a new motherboard and hopefully sometime in the next 24 hours I will let you know how I go with all same components but different motherboard.

We will figure it out!

Reactions: nimnoga

Nimish_rohankar

Honorable
Jun 27, 2016
I have a very similar issue, can run CPU benchmark no problems multiple times. Run GPU benchmark and the PC reboots every time, as well in games and rarely in desktop. Everything is new. Anyway, I happened to watch a video where the guy claims there was issue with the CPU cooler in relation to the motherboard. Point being issues ceased after putting in a new cooler. Do you happen to have another handy you can try, or maybe your friend does?
I don't unfortunately, but I have bought a new motherboard and hopefully, sometime in the next 24 hours I will let you know how I go with all same components but the different motherboard.

We will figure it out!
Hi, Unfortunately, I don't have access to another cooler. Even my friend's cooler is a stock one with a smaller base that won't fit into mine. I too think it's my motherboard given the history of it, I got it repaired exactly a year ago, where all my components used to turn on but there was no POST. After I got it fixed, there were times when my system won't POST in a single attempt, and had to hard shutdown and turn back on my system. But it used to work perfectly fine once it's on. This on-load restart issue started happening a month ago. I didn't want to rule out other parts being at fault. But after testing all of it. I am thinking it could be another newly developed issue with the motherboard only.

But again, I couldn't find the exact issue. The worst part is, I have looked for a new motherboard everywhere, but couldn't find the LGA 2011 socket motherboard as my system is almost 8 years old now with only my GPU upgraded midway and the rest of the parts are the same from the time of its built. I would probably have to get a new system if this problem cannot be diagnosed due to the unavailability of the parts in the market.

Do let me know if getting a new motherboard worked for you.

Reactions: User107542

TRENDING THREADS