Computer restarts when playing graphically intensive games

hosfordbrandon

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014
I have had my system for over a year now with no problems. I bought a new GPU and power supply because of black friday deals and with new games (GTA5, ACU) coming out. I bought a ASUS GeForce GTX 780 Ti and a Corsair CX750M from newegg. I upgraded from a 660 and a CX500. It installed fine and all was well until I turned Assassin's Creed on max graphics, when some fans (I'm guessing the GPU fans) spun up very quickly and then my PC restarts. There was no BSOD or anything like that. I decided to test it on high settings on ACU and there were no restarts. I then tried BF4 on ultra, and it was fine on small maps with not much happening, but when it goes to a large map or when it seems to have to push, the fans spin very fast and loud and then the PC restarts. I turned it down to high on BF4 (with my old GPU, I could play on ultra with around 30fps if I remember correctly with no restarts or crashes) and I played on a small map for a game, and the monitoring software that came with the GPU said I reached a max GPU temp of 76 C. Is it a faulty GPU? Or do you have another idea of what could be causing it?

hosfordbrandon

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014

I tried that with BF4 and I had a temp of around 50-45C so it does seem it is overheating. How could I fix this problem without having my panel off and the fans running very loudly all the time?

You have a few options:
1) Get more fans
2) Get a new CPU cooler
3) Get a new case
I would recommend that you do at least the first 2. You could get the silent edition of the fans so it's a little bit quieter but a computer isn't really gonna be that quiet, especially when you are running BF4 at max. Then get a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO for around $30 on Amazon for your CPU cooler.

hosfordbrandon

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014

I'm sorry I don't think I was clear enough. It was my graphics card that was overheating and I turned my graphics card fans to max speed and it's temperature went down 50. My cpu has been fine the whole time but I probably will get a new cpu fan. And the only space I have for more fans is on the top of the case. I have the CM Storm Enforcer so the front has one 200mm fan and I have one smaller fan (I don't remember the size of it) in the back top of the case pulling air out. Would adding another fan on the top have any effect on cooling the graphics card since the heatsink and other fans are on the bottom

DougLYX

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
if u have space on top of the case for fans, invest in a water cooler system for the cpu and or video card..and put the radiator on the top part of the case. as for fan placement around the case, direct outflow over hds and blow in filtered air from bottom and/or top, if decide to get radiator for water cooling system, cover up bottom of case then get bigger fan for side of case or more fans on side of the case to increase air flow pressure with filters to keep everything nice and cool and clean of dust.

DougLYX

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
if u decide to put water cooler's radiator on front of case, it can't be getting airflow from hd area, it has to have it's own airflow path..and have it flow out of the case or you will get heated air in the case that will choke your pwr supply and video card cooling exhaust fans with warm/hot air.