[SOLVED] Computer restarts while gaming (probably a PSU problem) ?

Mar 8, 2022
Hello!

For the past like 6 months or so my computer have been restarting while gaming. Now it seems to be in newer games, aka games with higher requirements, but it's has crashed while playing lower intensity games as well.

Couple of examples:
  • For a while it would randomly crash at the start of a game of Teamfight Tactics. After the restart I could sometimes just resume the game, but sometimes I had to wait for a bit.
  • Got a steamkey for Monster Hunter: World which restarted my computer before I could get through changing my settings.
  • Have been trying to play Lost Ark, but can only manage to play about 30 minutes before a restart.
My system is about 3 years old. Besides this I've been having no problems.
  • Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 2600x (stock cooler)
  • GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 2060 ROG Strix Gaming
  • RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz 8GB
  • SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 250GB M.2
  • HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
  • PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 550W 80+ Gold
This issue hasn't affected me that much since I don't play a lot of high intensity games. But recently I wanted to try out Lost Ark so I figured now would be time to figure it out.. Here's what I've done.
  • Prime95: 50 min no restart (CPU at about 90 C which is normal but maybe a tad high)
  • Furmark: Restarted at about 10 min (GPU at about 60 C)
  • OCCT: Tried a lot in here but the system instantly crashes while doing a power test with the "SSE" instruction.
At first I thought it might have been a temperature problem, especially since I have a stock cooler, but now I'm thinking it's more of a PSU problem. Tried my brothers 650 W Cooler Master PSU last weekend for about four hours and had no restarts during either gaming or the tests that I have displayed above.

Hopefully somebody has the time to read this and is able to provide some insight, but my questions are: Is this definetly a PSU problem? Or is it probably it could be something else and the test with another PSU was a fluke? Any other tests I should do before buying a new PSU?

Solution
Hello!

For the past like 6 months or so my computer have been restarting while gaming. Now it seems to be in newer games, aka games with higher requirements, but it's has crashed while playing lower intensity games as well.

Couple of examples:
  • For a while it would randomly crash at the start of a game of Teamfight Tactics. After the restart I could sometimes just resume the game, but sometimes I had to wait for a bit.
  • Got a steamkey for Monster Hunter: World which restarted my computer before I could get through changing my settings.
  • Have been trying to play Lost Ark, but can only manage to play about 30 minutes before a restart.
Hello!

Couple of examples:
  • Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 2600x (stock cooler)
  • GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 2060 ROG Strix Gaming
  • RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz 8GB
  • SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 250GB M.2
  • HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
  • PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 550W 80+ Gold
This issue hasn't affected me that much since I don't play a lot of high intensity games. But recently I wanted to try out Lost Ark so I figured now would be time to figure it out.. Here's what I've done.
  • Prime95: 50 min no restart (CPU at about 90 C which is normal but maybe a tad high)
  • Furmark: Restarted at about 10 min (GPU at about 60 C)
  • OCCT: Tried a lot in here but the system instantly crashes while doing a power test with the "SSE" instruction.
At first I thought it might have been a temperature problem, especially since I have a stock cooler, but now I'm thinking it's more of a PSU problem. Tried my brothers 650 W Cooler Master PSU last weekend for about four hours and had no restarts during either gaming or the tests that I have displayed above.

Hopefully somebody has the time to read this and is able to provide some insight, but my questions are: Is this definetly a PSU problem? Or is it probably it could be something else and the test with another PSU was a fluke? Any other tests I should do before buying a new PSU?
this step by step in order (read till end):
  • Make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors (should be 12 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

and the chipset driver/software in control panel (if there is none just skip)

• restart the pc to bios, flash your mobo bios to the latest, then after updating bios go to bios again, then load default or optimized settings, find AMD SVM and IOMMU options, enable them (if the option is only auto and disable, just leave it auto), set your XMP/Manual OC and PBO/XFR back then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver (should be 3.10.22), reboot, and make sure in power plan, it uses amd ryzen balanced is used, and then connect to internet.

• Install the latest gpu driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update).
  • Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png

Solution
Mar 8, 2022
Thanks for the reply! I tried following your steps and after that I had no restarts in OCCT, ran Furmark for about 20 min and played (or rather idled) in Lost Ark for a couple of hours.

However, some time later I tried the OCCT power test with the "SSE" instruction again and restarted instantly. Tried a few more times with the same results. Have not been able to test ingame sadly so I'll have to check that tomorrow and ge tback to this thread.

Is this definetly a PSU problem?
As with all PC problems very rarely you can call a 100% chance, but IMO that's a very likely cause.
Or is it probably it could be something else and the test with another PSU was a fluke?
Possible but still strong clue.
Any other tests I should do before buying a new PSU?
GPU would be another suspect. If you could put your GPU into brother's PC and test it there (I guess with OCCT as it seems most reliable way of triggering the problem and maybe Monster Hunter) that would help.

Thanks for the reply! I tried following your steps and after that I had no restarts in OCCT, ran Furmark for about 20 min and played (or rather idled) in Lost Ark for a couple of hours.

However, some time later I tried the OCCT power test with the "SSE" instruction again and restarted instantly. Tried a few more times with the same results. Have not been able to test ingame sadly so I'll have to check that tomorrow and ge tback to this thread.
Well if you already did all of these and still have the restart, i suspect the PSU and GPU, like what @DRagor said. You dont need to repeat the steps in order if you already changed your PSU. if you were about to change the GPU, before unplugging it, uninstall the driver using DDU again, then replace the gpu, and install driver as usual. Also, please downgrade the Bios to 1.2.0.3 and load optimized. Agesa 1.2.0.4~1.2.0.6 have issues with overclocking.

Mar 8, 2022
As with all PC problems very rarely you can call a 100% chance, but IMO that's a very likely cause.

Possible but still strong clue.

GPU would be another suspect. If you could put your GPU into brother's PC and test it there (I guess with OCCT as it seems most reliable way of triggering the problem and maybe Monster Hunter) that would help.

Thanks for the reply! (and Koeikieezz too of course)

Good idea with the GPU trading! That would probably narrow it down a bit more. I guess another option, which we didn't do, is to use my PSU in my brothers computer as well to see if we can replicate the problem that way.

Thanks again for the help guys! It will probably take some days for me to set this up but I'll return if I need more help.

Reactions: Koekieezz

ankur121192

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2015
While you follow all the suggestions given by people, my personal experience has been of the Power demand fluctuations. If something already suggested works for you, good for you. But, before going for a new PSU or GPU as your final move, maybe try plugging your PSU into a decent UPS and game test things.

This has solved my issue, hence commenting.

Reactions: Koekieezz
Mar 8, 2022
Well, it's been almost a month now so I don't know if anybody will see this message. I was finally able to test with my brothers GPU, which is a MSI 1070ti. So should be around the same power comsumption. The problem still persisted but I actually managed to run some games for what felt like a longer time and some of the tests worked sligthly better.

To respond to ankur121192, unfortunately I don't have a UPS (atleast I don't think so, had to search what the term meant in this case) so I can't really try that. So I guess it's time to just buy a new power supply and hope that the problem goes away. Unless anybody sees this and recommend something else, I thank you for your replies and your help!

Reactions: DRagor
Mar 8, 2022
Man you sure are not a daily gamer type lol

Nothing else to do at this stage. Give us a follow how it go.

Haha, well not at the moment really you're right. But the bigger problem was getting a hold of my brother GPU with both of us working/studying full time in different cities ya know.

But yes, I'll be sure to follow up.