Computer Restarts While Installing Graphics Driver.

Jun 21, 2018
Hello, I'm really running out of ideas here.

I have a GTX 760 and Windows 10. My motherboard is an Asus M5A78L-M/USB3. While installing the drivers the system would reboot and cancel the installation. Here is a list of solutions I have attempted to no avail:

- Installing the graphics drivers manually
- Installing the drivers through Geforce experience
- Installing the drivers through Windows updates
- Flashing BIOS and installing the latest BIOS from the manufacturer's site
- Reinstalling Windows
- Using the jumpers to reset CMOS RAM
- Using DDU program to completely rid my system of any graphics driver (still doesn't work when I attempt to install)
- Installing the drivers in Safe Mode (this is the only way to fully install the drivers, but on reboot the system won't even reach the login screen so I have to reenter Safe Mode and uninstall the drivers once again)
- Using a previous version of the graphics driver (this caused a blue screen and many errors so I used Safe Mode to uninstall it again)

I'm beginning to think I need to purchase a new motherboard, but I want to make sure that is the appropriate solution before I spend the money.

Any help is much appreciated

polis_putrus

Prominent
Apr 24, 2018
Remove the graphics card use the motherboard video input and install drivers, put the graphics card back in, it might detect it correctly. It cound be because you have windows 10. Did you download the drivers from here, This is for your graphics card. Also did you clean the graphics card slot if not then clean it, that is most likely why this is happening, I use new toothbrushes to clean mine works very well.

Jun 21, 2018

Thanks for replying so quickly.

The first part of the NVIDIA installer checks for compatible graphics hardware, so it won't allow the installation to continue because my card isn't installed.

I haven't tried cleaning the slot. I'll search up a video on the proper way to do that now.

polis_putrus

Prominent
Apr 24, 2018

Oh

Jun 21, 2018

lmfaooooo yeah. That's been me for the past two weeks

polis_putrus

Prominent
Apr 24, 2018
Is your computer 32-bit or 64-bit? It must be a compatability issue because if it does the screen thing during the detectng hardware that must mean that it detected it then encountered a compatability problem.

Jun 21, 2018

It is 64-bit my friend. And I have checked and double-checked that the drivers I am installing are also 64-bit

mgallo848

Commendable
Test the GTX 760 is another PC if you can. It's possible it's dying. Without the drivers installed, it's running a basic driver from Windows that doesn't put any sort of stress on the card. As soon as the drivers are installed is when the card "ramps" it's speed up and that's usually when you'll see the issues you're having.

The other possibility is your PSU is failing to supply enough power to the card once the drivers are nearly installed and the card starts to require more power.

Again, the best way to go for now is to see if you can test it in another system.

Jun 21, 2018

That sounds like a great idea. I'll have to ask one of my friends for that favor.

As a side note (maybe it will help, idk), I have had the same PSU and graphics card for years now. Recently, for a few months, my friend let me borrow his GTX 980. Everything was working perfectly fine. No issues. Strangely, these issues only started when I reinstalled 760 back into my system. It is the only thing that has changed recently.

But correlation does not equal causation, as the saying goes.

polis_putrus

Prominent
Apr 24, 2018

Oh shit, 4 years old, an average computer lasts 5 years. That must be why.

Jun 21, 2018

I hope it's something fixable. I'm not in a position to buy a whole new system. Although I damn sure wish I could :/

Jun 21, 2018

I appreciate the offer, but if I am going to spend money on a new GPU, I rather save up and buy a more powerful one.

Thank you though :)

polis_putrus

Prominent
Apr 24, 2018

Good idea. Your welcome