Computer running, but no display after turning off/on randomly

petebestest

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014
Hey guys,

Had an incident with my PC earlier this week, tried some troubleshooting, took it to my local computer repair shop, and now I'm looking for any answers/help y'all can give me!

I was browsing the internet a couple nights ago (just google chrome running), when my computer suddenly shut down and started up on its own two to three times in quick succession. Seems like it might have had something to do with my house's old air conditioning unit kicking in just a few seconds before. Now when I try to boot it back up, the lights and fans inside the case come back on as normal, but my monitor doesn't, and just reads "DVI NO DISPLAY" whenever I turn it on manually.

I had my PC on a surge protector (https://www.amazon.com/Rocketfish-8-Outlet-Surge-Protector-Black/dp/B0195RIIMU... I need a UPS, I know), but if it was a power surge that caused the problem, the surge protector didn't seem to register it at all. The ethernet cable I had connected to the PC was not plugged into a surge protector, but nothing else connected to my modem seems to have been affected, so I'm not sure that's what caused it, either.

I've had my PC for more than three years now, and this is the first time anything like this has happened. There were two times at my last house when the surge protector that it was plugged into basically blew up from intense power surges (two different surge protectors, not the same one), but aside from getting blackened tips on the prongs of its power cord, the computer itself has been functioning normally up until now.

The folks at the shop said it sounded like the motherboard got fried, but that the power supply unit was still working. What do you guys think? If the mb did get fried, would that mean that the other component parts (CPU, RAM, GPU) might also have taken a hit? Could this be a delayed result from those earlier power surges? Or is it all down to my current AC unit?

Thanks for any ideas you can give me! You guys are the best!

My computer specs, for reference:
CPU: Intel - Core i7-4790k
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-Z97-HD3 ATX LGA1150
RAM: G.Skill - Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3-1600
SSD: Samsung - 850 Pro Series 512GB
GPU: MSI - GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V
PSU: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold Certified ATX

if the surge prtector is just as old as your computer then likely it failed to protect your computer from a power surge. with power surges its hard to tell which parts may have gotten damaged but it doesn't mean all of them did. one thing you can try to rule it out is remove the GPU from your system and connect your monitor to the DVI port on your motherboard and see if it boots with your CPU's iGPU

its hard for me to give you advice since you never mentioned (or may not know) what things the place you brought it to tried

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS