Computer running for 3 days then quits...

94blue302gt

Distinguished
May 26, 2005
SATA 1.5 ghz
Pentium D 2.8
DDRII 533 mhz
Sony CD/DVD
generic floppy drive
copper orb cooler
500 watt power supply

Computer was running fine, then the guy calls me up and says it just blanked out mid printing.
I come over there and start pulling things... first was optical drive. It started just fine into windows. Turned it back off and installed an IDE drive from his old computer that had a lot of his old files on, turned it all back on, and the fan turns, lights go on, but no I/O from monitor, keyboard, or mouse. The monitor acts as if it's in hibernate, just blinking the light, not missing a beat when i turn on or off the computer

I pulled EVERYTHING except for Ram, proc and fan and power supply to see if the bios would kick up (INTEL board). Nothing happens to screen, but it all seems to be going.

I assume either Ram is bad or mobo fried from that freakin hot processor (stupid intel)

Also, had problems getting it to run in the first place
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/software/Fixing-computer-xp-home-helpftopic-234835-days0-orderasc-25.html

HELP!!!!!
Lee

insightdriver

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
Did you pull the fan off the processor then turn the computer on?

Bad, bad idea if you did. They sure do get hot fast; any processor will. When I worked at Intel I would test boot a board with my thumb on the processor. If it passed it's POST I would turn it off right away because the chip gets hot in just seconds. My thumb would be just enough heatsink to see if the board boots.

If you get no video I doubt you passed the post. If you did, then it's likely your graphics card is not working.

94blue302gt

Distinguished
May 26, 2005
no graphics card, but, new mobo and it worked!!!
the proc might have been too hot.

I know the pentium D's run hot, but it was like 59*C at IDLE
after I reinstalled, with AS5 it idles at 48-50, but that's still pretty warm if you ask me!

My barton core NEVER sees past 45, as listed in my sig.

In any case, we'll be putting a case fan in soon, just to be sure. Too bad intel's boards suck at letting you revise the speed and stuff, i'd downclock it to a 2.6 and he'd never know the difference.