[SOLVED] Computer running super slow after trying to fix a bottlenecking issue

Dec 14, 2020
I just recently bought a new 1660ti and installed it into my computer. I noticed that my CPU was bottlenecking, and decided to try to fix it myself. I ended up finding a tutorial on reddit that basically gave me these steps in order to fix the bottlenecking issue:

1: Open run using the windows search bar

2: Open msconfig

3: Go to the boot tab

4: Click advanced options

5: Click on number of processors and set to 2.

6: Restart computer

After rebooting my computer I quickly realized I had made a mistake. I could no longer open Call of Duty Warzone, and when I opened Minecraft my frames were sitting at around 10fps - 20 fps. I then went back and tried to undo what I had done, but sadly nothing worked.

Anyone know what I should do to get my computer running normal again?

My Pc specs are:

CPU-Intel core i5 4670k

GPU-msi 1660ti

MBD-msi z97 MPOWER

RAM-16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3

Solution
"5: Click on number of processors and set to 2. "

"I ended up finding a tutorial on reddit that basically gave me these steps in order to fix the bottlenecking issue: "
ahh.....that is why.

Following the steps from a completely uninformed, or possibly malicious, "author".

That in particular has reduced the performance of the CPU.

Go back in there, and UNCHECK that checkbox. That is the default state, and makes ALL cores/processors available.
What you did by selecting "2" was reduce the core/processor count to 2.

USAFRet

Titan
"5: Click on number of processors and set to 2. "

"I ended up finding a tutorial on reddit that basically gave me these steps in order to fix the bottlenecking issue: "
ahh.....that is why.

Following the steps from a completely uninformed, or possibly malicious, "author".

That in particular has reduced the performance of the CPU.

Go back in there, and UNCHECK that checkbox. That is the default state, and makes ALL cores/processors available.
What you did by selecting "2" was reduce the core/processor count to 2.

Solution