[SOLVED] Computer runs, no USB or display

Jan 10, 2020
So I just upgraded my PC and after completely installing all my parts I turned on the computer and it booted fine, rgb was working, all the fans were spinning l, hard drive was working. I go to plug in my monitors and restart and I get nothing, there is no display and on top of that I don’t have any USB connectivity.

I believe it’s a memory issue so I tried to take out one of the ram slots still nothing. I also tried switching the USB 2.0 connecter to another header on the motherboard, nothing.

my specs:
Motherboard: msi b450 gaming pro carbon ac
Ram: Ripjaws 32gb (2x16gb) 3600mhz
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
Cooler: cooler master masterliquid ML120 RGB
GPU: gigabyte gtx 1080 oc
Case: nzxt s340 élite
PSU: Corsair CX750

Solution
Well, by looking at the specs, i can see:

"Supports AMD® RYZEN™ 1st and 2nd Generation/ Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics Processors for Socket AM4 ", which means that the mb supports ryzen 1000 and 2000 cpus out of the box.

So at first, i would try to flash that bios, if you don't have a ryzen gen 1 or 2, you can ask at a microcenter to do it, preferably at the place where you bought it.

After that is done, i would test it with the 3200Mhz kit first, to make sure it works properly.
Then you will be able to test with the 3600Mhz kit, and lower the frequency if it doesnt work.
There you go!
Jan 10, 2020
From which parts did you upgrade exactly?
Are any of the Debug leds lighting up on the motherboard (i believe there are some since it's a MSI mb) ?
I upgraded my motherboard, ram, and processor.

I switched from:
Intel i5-8400 —> Ryzen 7 3700x
Gigabyte B360 HD3 —> msi b450 gaming carbon oc
3200mhz 16gb (2x8gb) miss matched —> 32gb Ripjaws (2x16) 3600mhz
And im not sure about the debug light, I didn’t see it when I powered it on

Dec 15, 2019
Ok, just checked, in fact your motherboard doesnt seem to have ez debug leds, which could have came in handy.

However, i think i just found something interesting : looks like the max ram frequency supported by your motherboard is 3466mhz, which would explain why you can't boot with 3600.

This feels strange to me, since my b450 tomahawk supports 4133mhz no problem, but you could maybe try to enter the BIOS by spamming your Del key, and lower the ram frequency to the accepted range : MSI specifications

If that doesn't work, try to use your previous 3200mhz ram sticks and see if it changes anything ?

Edit: very important too, is your mb's box stamped "ryzen 3000 ready" ? If not, this means you would have to flash a new bios version into your mb for it to work with the 3700x.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020
Ok, just checked, in fact your motherboard doesnt seem to have ez debug leds, which could have came in handy.

However, i think i just found something interesting : looks like the max ram frequency supported by your motherboard is 3466mhz, which would explain why you can't boot with 3600.

This feels strange to me, since my b450 tomahawk supports 4133mhz no problem, but you could maybe try to enter the BIOS by spamming your Del key, and lower the ram frequency to the accepted range : MSI specifications

If that doesn't work, try to use your previous 3200mhz ram sticks and see if it changes anything ?

Edit: very important too, is your mb's box stamped "ryzen 3000 ready" ? If not, this means you would have to flash a new bios version into your mb for it to work with the 3700x.
I don’t believe it does say Ryzen 3000 ready, that’s a good catch thank you. I know that it doesn’t support my ram speed but the guy at Canada computers said that with a bios update it will work.

Dec 15, 2019
Well, by looking at the specs, i can see:

"Supports AMD® RYZEN™ 1st and 2nd Generation/ Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics Processors for Socket AM4 ", which means that the mb supports ryzen 1000 and 2000 cpus out of the box.

So at first, i would try to flash that bios, if you don't have a ryzen gen 1 or 2, you can ask at a microcenter to do it, preferably at the place where you bought it.

After that is done, i would test it with the 3200Mhz kit first, to make sure it works properly.
Then you will be able to test with the 3600Mhz kit, and lower the frequency if it doesnt work.
There you go!

Solution