Question Computer runs, won't display at all

TempoTutor

Commendable
Jun 19, 2017
So my computer refuses to display now. Everything ran fine all the time until some point last week where now it'll turn on, as in fans spinning on all components, all lights that should be on are on, but no display whatsoever.

If it helps, here's a pcpartpicker list I just threw together with the core components. Yeah, it's old, but I'll be getting some upgrades soon so ignore that part (Gen 2 Ryzen 5 here I come!): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8Yp3wh

What I've tried: basically everything. I rebuilt the whole thing, going as far as pulling the motherboard and reseating it (lol). I tried other PCIe lanes to no avail, so it's not that. I tried an old GPU I had lying around, which I'm 90% sure should still be fully functional (I got fanspin from it, so that's at least something), nothing, so I don't think my GPU is dead. Motherboard lights up and gives power to PCIe lanes and all fans, so I'm doubting it's a dead mobo. As far as I know, dead RAM shouldn't cause a problem like this, but even if it could I don't have any extra DDR4 lying around that I could try. If anyone happens to think it's that, I can always beg a friend to let me borrow some of theirs for a bit. Also, I've reset the CMOS by reseating the battery.

I'm at a loss. I really don't know what it could be at this point. But, y'all tend to be smarter than I am, so I'd really appreciate the use of some external expertise to help me figure out what the heck is going on.

Thanks in advance,
a frustrated enthusiast

P.S.: Apologies if this wasn't the section to post this in, it just didn't look like any others were as suitable for something like this.

Last edited:

TempoTutor

Commendable
Jun 19, 2017
Try clearing the CMOS (unplug the power cord and remove the CMOS battery for a minute) if you have not so far. An internal speaker would help in troubleshooting.
I had actually just come back to this post and edit it to include that I had, in fact, tried that. Tried it again, just for the fun of it, and still no result.
I just ordered an internal speaker online for a few bucks, but with it being around Christmas and whatnot, it's not gonna get here till at least 23 December. I really don't feel like going without my desktop for that long, but I guess I'll just have to take my medicine and wait.

TempoTutor

Commendable
Jun 19, 2017
By then, try borrowing a monitor and video cable from a friend if possible, to rule out a video issue.
Well, I've tried it with a couple of monitors and a couple of cables, but now that I think of it there's no 100% guarantee that either monitor or cable actually works... I'll see what I can find and report back.

TempoTutor

Commendable
Jun 19, 2017
Since no other available spare parts to test, I suggest waiting for the buzzer. A local pc shop might also help, if not too expensive.
Alright :/
I'm gonna get ahold of my step brother to see if he might have one lying around. I doubt it, but he's been doing this type of stuff for longer than I have so there's a decent chance. Thanks for the help thus far.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Have you checked ram is properly seated in the 2nd slot from cpu?

How did you clear cmos?

Haven't accidentally plugged the video cable to the motherboard video port?

You're right about memtest needing a display to see what you're doing.

TempoTutor

Commendable
Jun 19, 2017
Have you checked ram is properly seated in the 2nd slot from cpu?

How did you clear cmos?

Haven't accidentally plugged the video cable to the motherboard video port?

You're right about memtest needing a display to see what you're doing.
Yes, and have tried different slots across both channels just in case

Removed battery, waited a good amount of time, then put it back in

Definitely not

TempoTutor

Commendable
Jun 19, 2017
What was the older the gpu that was tried?
An old Radeon HD 4870 I had laying around. Should be fully functional. Like I said in a previous reply, I'm almost certain the culprit was dead RAM. I was already planning on buying some new RAM on Sunday, so when I get that I'll test it and report back.