[SOLVED] Computer sat for four months... Diagnosis help...

swompdonkey

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
Having just moved and also having another PC, my previous build sat unused for about four months. It was handled gently and suffered no drops or hard jostled as far as I know. Upon starting it up it ran fine for about 30 minutes and then hung. Upon reboot it gave black screen with the "select boot drive or insert bootable media" message. I have tightened HD connections and tried again with the same result. Sometimes the computer will crash to reboot and arrive back at the bios boot order menu automatically. The correct drive is indicated first, which is a 256 drevo SSD. My next step is to install windows on a new drive and see if that fixes it, but is there anything I should try first? I've tightened all connections within the case and will give it another go, but I'm thinking hard driver is the culprit here. Thanks!

swompdonkey

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
I'm responding on the machine...just tried new SATA cable. I should know in an hour or so if that fixed it. Another thing, I had system information up within task manager and when the error occurred CPU and memory usage appeared normal, but the hard drive usage went up to 100% and stayed there. If the cable replacement doesn't work we'll try another port.

I would rather not tear my other rig apart to boot from this drive, so if this doesn't work would a clean windows install on this drive be a logical next step?

swompdonkey

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
Replaced the drive. It's fixed. Thanks peeps! Outgoing drive was a Drevo x1 Pro in case you're wondering what SSD you can get that will last fewer than 24 months.