Question Computer says it is overheating when I start it up.

Jori139

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2014
When I turn my computer on it will some times say that it is overheating and will not let me get to the login screen. Other times it will let me login but then a red light will appear on the motherboard and if I restart my computer it will tell me it is overheating.

On top of this it is running very poorly, everything seems laggy. I will play league of legends have my FPS will sit around 30 FPS. It has done this since a couple months after I built it and never stopped.

The overheating is an error since, even if I turn it on after multiple days of it being off, it will still give me the overheating error within seconds of turning it on if I restart it.

I noticed it happens every time the red light comes in (so every time)

I posted this from my phone since my computer is currently giving me the error. So I can post pictures and video if the startup if needed and mother board roughly 30 minutes after this is posted, since that is usually the time it takes for my computer to let me login.

Jori139

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2014
Build:
G. Rip jaws V series 16gb ( 2 x 8gb)
i7-7700k Kaby Lake Quad core 4.2 ghz
Samsung 850 evo 2.5” 250 Gb SATA 3 SSD
ASUS prime Z270-A ATX motherboard
MSI GeForce GTX 1080

I’m using a H100i v2 Corsair
The temp in the bios is:
CPU: 89 c
Motherboard: 28 c

If this is a new aio cooler, then either the pump is faulty, not connected to the power (so is not working), or the screws that keep it in place are not tight enough to make good contant with the CPU surface.

Is this a new build, like you got the cpu lately and replaced an old one?, or was this a PC that used to run and play games without issues and suddenly it started to get overheated?

Reactions: Phaaze88
Adding to the above, if new cooler, did you make sure to remove the plastic protecting the block? How is the cooler hooked up? In bios can you see the pump rpm reported? It may report as fan rpm, depending on where its hooked up.

So it's not an error. If bios is reporting 89c, its overheating. Verify pump is working. Then verify its correctly installed, as mentioned above. It almost sounds like it's not making good contact with the cpu. Even a failing pump should move enough coolant to cool a cpu in bios, unless it's not working at all.

Does it feel like the pump is working? Open the case and physically touch it, does it vibrate? Are the coolant hoses warm/cold/hot?

Is it overclocked? Check voltage settings. Maybe even reset to default bios settings to ensure no overclock/voltage has been added.

Reactions: RodroX

Jori139

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2014
If this is a new aio cooler, then either the pump is faulty, not connected to the power (so is not working), or the screws that keep it in place are not tight enough to make good contant with the CPU surface.

Is this a new build, like you got the cpu lately and replaced an old one?, or was this a PC that used to run and play games without issues and suddenly it started to get overheated?
I built the computer about two years ago. 3 months after building it, it started having these problems. I just never had time to do anything with it because the job I had up until about 2 months ago was very demanding.

Well if you took out the plastic protection out of the aio heatsink and check the rest of the stuff (pump working, overclocking, etc) Gmoney06ss wrote on its post, then I guess the only way to really test this temp behavior is, if you can spend the money, get a budget DeepCool Gammaxx 400 cooler, replace the aio and see how it goes.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/w3...7434-cfm-cpu-cooler-deepcool-gammaxx-400-blue

Cheers