Question Computer screen freezes, sound loops, but mouse still moves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2020
I built a new PC around 4 months ago, but this problem started happening around 2 months ago out of nowhere.

I do not know what causes the issue. Some days it happens, some days it does not. Sometimes it happens within the first hour of use, sometimes it happens after hours of use.

I do not play any intensive games (the most intensive game I play right now is Valorant, which is not very intensive).

The pattern I noticed from the multiple freezes I've experienced was that:

1. Windows become really slow before becoming straight-up irresponsive (can't close windows).

2. The taskbar freezes.

3. If any audio is playing, it gets looped.

4. The mouse still moves, but since everything becomes irresponsive, it cannot click much.

5. The only way to get rid of this is CTRL+ALT+DEL and signing out fast enough, or just holding down the power button.

I have updated my BIOS, all my drivers, Windows, etc.

Malwarebytes scans suggest that there is nothing to worry about.

I have my power settings changed so my SSD/HDD never closes after X time.

I have ran sfc /scannow and there are no problems.

Event-viewer also does not show anything related to the issue.

From the other pages I've read, it might be a hardware issue with the SSD or PSU.

Here are my parts:

- Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-core

- GPU: RTX 2060

- PSU: Seasonic FOCUS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

- Motherboard: B450M BAZOOKA MAX WIFI

- SSD: Kingston 250G A2000 M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe Gen 3.0x4

- HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5'' 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive

I'm considering changing upgrading my SSD in the near future (does anyone know how to transfer OS to a different SSD?), and if I find the warranty for my PSU, I am willing to change it.

This problem is getting really annoying, does anyone know what is wrong?

tbjerry07

Commendable
Apr 14, 2018
Seems like a ram or ssd problem. Do you know what ram sticks you have? Have you over clocked them?

Try using chkdsk on your boot drive https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ho...ide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/amp/

This will tell you if you have bad sectors on your drive.

If you want to change boot drives, the best way to clone your data would be using macrium reflect. Its free and it copies the exact partition layout of your current drive.

Dec 24, 2020
The ram sticks are G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16.
I have not clocked them, nor do I think I know how to overclock them. (not the most tech-savvy person out there haha)

I forgot to mention that I did run a memtest86 as well as the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool a couple of weeks back and no errors came up if that has any meaning.

As for the chkdsk thing, I followed the article and it seems like nothing is wrong, I think?
It said that it was scanning/repairing my disk when I restarted my computer, and everything booted normally. I'm assuming that means that there's nothing wrong/it did its job?

tbjerry07

Commendable
Apr 14, 2018
The ram sticks are G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16.
I have not clocked them, nor do I think I know how to overclock them. (not the most tech-savvy person out there haha)

I forgot to mention that I did run a memtest86 as well as the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool a couple of weeks back and no errors came up if that has any meaning.

As for the chkdsk thing, I followed the article and it seems like nothing is wrong, I think?
It said that it was scanning/repairing my disk when I restarted my computer, and everything booted normally. I'm assuming that means that there's nothing wrong/it did its job?
That's good, report back if the system crashes again.

Dec 24, 2020
That's good, report back if the system crashes again.
Hey, it seemed to be working well for a while.
But unfortunately, it happened again.
This time, the event-viewer shows the error "Event 1000, Application Error"
"
Faulting application name: bad_module_info, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x00007ff7f287d975
Faulting process id: 0x197c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6df6f3979fb50
Faulting application path: bad_module_info
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 0c12a262-048b-4960-8ac6-c66bfb1b2dad
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
"

Status