Computer screen goes black, computer turns unresponsive while gaming

bensavagae

Commendable
Jun 30, 2016
Hey everyone, I’ve been running into a specific issue recently on my custom-built PC with a couple of games in particular (Witcher 3 and NBA 2k15). The problem is similar; at some point, the screen suddenly turns to black and video signal is lost. Nothing responds (even though power is on), forcing me to do a hard restart of the entire computer. With NBA2k15 it happens randomly, with the Witcher it happens at a specific point in the game (sometimes I get to go a little further, but it’s usually around a specific point).

Some steps I've taken:
Cleaned out the tower fans just in case.
Reinstalled the games.
Replaced PSU, just in case the old one was defective.
Updated all drivers
Ran memtest (no errors detected)
Under throttled GPU and memory by 40 MHz.
Ran Furmark without issues.

Specs:
OS - Windows 10
Processor - Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40 GHz
PSU - SeaSonic Platinum-1000 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS PLATINUM
Cooling System - Noctua NH-U14S 140mm SSO2-Bearing CPU Cooler
Graphics Card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780Ti
RAM: DDR3 8GB
Motherboard - GIGABYTE z87X-D3H
SSD: Crucial CT240m500ssd1

I've tried looking at application event logs, and there are a couple of errors there, but I'm not entirely sure what I'm supposed to be looking at.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Solution
Same thing with me, GTX 760 GPU. I see a lot of these posts but no solution yet.
Just ten million suggestions. NVIDIA or Microsoft, I'm not sure which multi-billon dollar firm should try and resolve this for us frustrated customers.

You have a 1000W PSU???

I guess we can forget about PSU being the problem then.

Try this >>> http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3108917/gtx-980ti-game-lags-screen-black-signal-restart.html

I haven't yet, not optimistic, tired of all the solutions that didn't work so far.

Archmage3

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016
Same thing with me, GTX 760 GPU. I see a lot of these posts but no solution yet.
Just ten million suggestions. NVIDIA or Microsoft, I'm not sure which multi-billon dollar firm should try and resolve this for us frustrated customers.

You have a 1000W PSU???

I guess we can forget about PSU being the problem then.

Try this >>> http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3108917/gtx-980ti-game-lags-screen-black-signal-restart.html

I haven't yet, not optimistic, tired of all the solutions that didn't work so far.

Solution

zayed builder

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014

did u try unoverclocking ur gpu or reset it to factory defaults

Archmage3

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016

Never overclocked in the first place.
All the games worked 100% on high settings.
Later on it started happening on certain games, now it happens on all of them.

TRENDING THREADS