[SOLVED] Computer screen goes fuzzy after bios when inserting flash drive to install windows 10.

Aug 12, 2021
Just started to rule out a few problems with my pc, I’m down to ram, cpu, or software. I just downloaded a fresh version of windows 10 onto a flash drive and when I try to go install it the computer screen locks up and turns to static. If I turn the pc off, remove the usb, then turn it back on, the pc will boot into bios fine and will allow me acces to the shell. The only things I can think of atm would either be the cpu, ram, a bad usb, or bad download of windows. Any help is appreciated.
Specs:
Motherboard - MSI A88XM Gaming
CPU - A10 7850K AMD A-series
Socket - FM2+
Memory - x2 G.SKILL Ripjaws X 16GB
Speed - DDR3
Storage - Toshiba 1TB HDD, Toshiba 3TB HDD, PNY 500GB SSD
GPU - AMD Radeon R9 270X
PSU - EVGA 1000GQ
OS - None

Last edited:
Solution
Were you able to try another flash drive and a new download?

In BIOS set POST to be as verbose as possible so you can observe what the system is doing (or trying to do) during boot up.

Does the following link provide the User Manual matching your motherboard?

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/A88XM-GAMING#down-manual

[Verify that I identified the correct User Manual.]

Page 1-14 addresses memory installation. However that may all be moot if you do indeed have faulty, unsupported, or mismatched RAM sticks.

Refer to the motherboard's user manual along with the applicable documentation for all other installed components. Double check all connections and configuration settings. Pay close attention top any fine print...

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

What did you do to rule the problem down to "ram, cpu, or software"?

What was the reason for downloading a fresh version of Windows? Source of that version?

Flash drive: consider that it may be defective or that the download was corrupted. Try another download and then another flash drive.

Aug 12, 2021
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

What did you do to rule the problem down to "ram, cpu, or software"?

What was the reason for downloading a fresh version of Windows? Source of that version?

Flash drive: consider that it may be defective or that the download was corrupted. Try another download and then another flash drive.
I had already installed a new PSU, taken the GPU out, one ram stick is for certain faulty and i'm unsure about the second, installed new freshly wiped HDD and SSD. The only thing I have yet to try is changing my CPU. I am trying to install either Windows 10 or Unbuntu (Linux) and when I put the flash drive that has Windows 10 OS on it in the pc, as soon as it proceeds passed the BIOS screen the screen seems to lock up and gives a fuzzy/static picture of the BIOS screen. I have also tried a separate 250 GB external hard drive with a version of linux on it (pop). When using this my screen doesnt freeze up, but during the initial booting of this program (before the initial downloading of OS) the pc just goes into a reboot loop.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Were you able to try another flash drive and a new download?

In BIOS set POST to be as verbose as possible so you can observe what the system is doing (or trying to do) during boot up.

Does the following link provide the User Manual matching your motherboard?

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/A88XM-GAMING#down-manual

[Verify that I identified the correct User Manual.]

Page 1-14 addresses memory installation. However that may all be moot if you do indeed have faulty, unsupported, or mismatched RAM sticks.

Refer to the motherboard's user manual along with the applicable documentation for all other installed components. Double check all connections and configuration settings. Pay close attention top any fine print, notes, warnings, etc.. Ensure that all components are supported. via MSI's website and QVLs (Qualified Vendors List).

As for reinstalling Windows the following tutorial is recommended:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/windows-10-clean-install-tutorial.3170366/

Solution