[SOLVED] Computer screen sometimes stops receiving video signal after a system restart. Have to unplug all cables/wall outlet and wait 15~30 minutes.

ronaldofslopes

Commendable
Jul 9, 2018
First off, my build:

Windows 7
- GPU: Radeon 270 (4,5 years old)
- CPU: FX 6300 (2,5 years old)
- MoBo: 78LMT-USB3 (2,5 years old)
- RAM: 2 HyperX 4GB (8GB in total)
- PSU: 500w+60 EVGA

DxDiag:
https://pastebin.com/58W8n4vQ

Description:

Well, my girlfriend gifted me a new computer screen (E2270Sw) roughly 7 months ago. Its resolution is 1920x1080, VGA port only.
I happily connected it to my Radeon 270 through an adapter and everything worked fine (the previous screen was also VGA). Roughly 10 minutes later I'd decided that it would be a good idea to restart my computer, y'know, to see if something weird would happen with that new hardware in place. I manually requested a restart through the OS start menu. Unfortunately something bad did happen: The new screen had no video signal.
All the fans, including the GPU's, were operational. The OS actually booted up to desktop according to the sounds in my headset. No video signal however. I plugged the cable to my onboard GPU and it worked. Plugged back to my off-board GPU, no signal. After a long sequence of restarts and cable plugging, I "gave up". I turned off my computer, then unplugged everything including the wall outlet and the power supply cables.
I left to have lunch and do a few other things, which took me approximately 30~50 minutes. I then decided to return and try again, turning on my computer after re-plugging every cable and the wall outlet. Surprisingly, everything worked fine! I've been successfully utilizing my computer with that new screen ever since.
However, sometimes, seemingly at random, my computer will lose video signal upon system restart. It's very intermittent so it's difficult to reproduce. It happens specifically after a system restart or, well, an unexpected system shutdown which triggers a system restart such as the house's electricity dying.

So, in short: My computer screen will sometimes lose video signal upon system restart and I have to literally kill all the energy in my computer by unplugging every cable that transfers electricity (PSU and wall outlet), then wait an arbitrary amount of minutes, and re-plug everything for it to work again.

Usual scenario would be:
I'll be using my computer normally, then I'll restart it for whatever reason, and it'll boot with a black screen even though the screen itself is working and the cables are seated exactly the same way they were seconds before the system restart. I can hear the Windows 7 system booting successfully into desktop. All computer components visibly working. When that problem happens, I gotta perform the ritual of unplugging everything from the PSU and wall outlet (I don't touch or reseat the screen cables btw), then wait 20~40 minutes, then plug it all again for it to work. If I try to plug the cables back too early, let's say, 10 minutes, it won't work. It has to be from 20 to 30 minutes.

Obs: The problem occurs randomly. I can use my computer and restart it as much as I want for an entire month and nothing bad will happen, until it does.
Obs²: I almost never (basically never) re-seat the screen cable or the adapter itself in order for it work. I only unplug the PSU and the wall outlet, then I wait. That's all it takes. (With that being said, I tried re-seating them thoroughly this month to no avail unfortunately)
Obs³: If I unplug and plug too soon, it doesn't work. I HAVE to wait at least 20~30 minutes. Sometimes 15 if I'm impatient.

Solution
Well an onboard will use less energy so can be psu,b ut the gpu is still also soemthing that can cause your problem. Maybe have a friend that can help you out and lend a gpu for testing?

ronaldofslopes

Commendable
Jul 9, 2018
Also have problems restarting using onboard gpu?

First thing i think of looking at this is a power related problem,means looking at the psu. can you test with another one?
No, the onboard GPU works fine after restarts. However, I haven't tested it thoroughly because the issue is hard to reproduce. I can't predict when it is going to happen, so I can't just sit using an onboard GPU indefinitely until the problem happens, if ever.

And no I do not possess a secondary PSU to test with, but I agree with you on the possibility of the problem being related to power, since I have to drain the whole energy from the computer for it work again.