Computer screen turns black with movable cursor

Lkraimer

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
I recently removed Windows 8 from my HP laptop. i recently added windows 7 as my OS. but recently after being powered it would shut off or go to a black screen with a movable cursor but nothing was able to be done without restarting it. there is no crash like a BSOD or anything its just off instantly, i ran a memtest and i also ran test on the hard drive. I always have the laptop plugged in if im working on it but even when plugged in it would still shut off.

also a side note.
i recently went to put Windows 8 OS back on the laptop but its asking for the product key. i looked all over the laptop (even under the battery since its under it on my laptop im using right now). the computer im working on came with windows 8 on it. i contacted Microsoft via online chat to ask about the product key, they were of no use,

so the basis of what im asking is what could the problem be with it shutting off like that all of a sudden and would there be a way for me to get windows 8 os back onto the device

Lkraimer

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014

so i looked at the disc i was using when u braught that up apparently i was using a 8.1 disc not windows 8