[SOLVED] Computer screen went black, GPU fans started going 100%.

aurumatom20

Honorable
Jun 14, 2015
Last night I was on my computer, just using it for homework, when all of a sudden the screen went black and the GPU fans started going at I assume full speed, at the time I could only hear it. After turning off my computer and attempting to turn it back on, I was only met with a black screen. Since then I have tried restarting and rewiring multiple times, but the most I've seen so far is the Windows 10 lock screen briefly before the screen again went black, and the fans again at full power. I have been able to open the BIOS for an extended period of time with no difficulty but since then have only been met with a black screen upon rebooting the computer. Occasionally when stuck on a black screen there is a series of blue dots in a line at the bottom right of the screen, but I haven't been able to find anything about this. If anyone has any recommendations I would greatly appreciate it.

CPU: i5-4590
Motherboard: Don't know exact model, but MSI brand.
RAM: 8GB DDR3, Kingston HyperX Fury
GPU: MSI GTX 1060 3GB
PSU: EVGA 650W Bronze
OS is installed on an SSD

Edit: Corrected CPU model

Last edited:
Solution
Check if there is a blue light on the gpu, if there isnt it means that the gpu is not getting enough power. If it is blue then the gpu is faulty and the cause of your problem

aurumatom20

Honorable
Jun 14, 2015
Using integrated graphics did work and I was able to us the driver cleaner, however after installing the GTX 1060,
Remove the graphics card and plug the monitor into the motherboard. If it works that narrows down the issue.

If that works, my next step would to run this:
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
select clean and shutdown
then install gpu and see if you can get to windows.

So using integrated graphics did work and I was able to run the driver uninstaller, but after reinstalling the GTX 1060 and reaching Windows, the problem once again occurred, a black screen and the fans at full blast, additionally I couldn't get the HDMI port to produce a display in that time.

Alwilada

Prominent
May 23, 2020
Check if there is a blue light on the gpu, if there isnt it means that the gpu is not getting enough power. If it is blue then the gpu is faulty and the cause of your problem

Solution

aurumatom20

Honorable
Jun 14, 2015
I don't see a blue light anywhere, however I don't recall there ever being a light in the first place. That said I did recently change from a 650W 80+ gold PSU to the bronze alternative so I recognize this could be the source of the issue, but everything I've found says these parts should be compatible.