Question Computer screen zometimes blank on startup

Anastasia Bintcliffe

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2013
CPU: Ryzen R9 3700x
GPU: gigabyte gtx 1080
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570I Aorus pro wifi
RAM: Corsair 32gb DDR3 3200 (2 16gb sticks)
PSU: Corsair SF750
SSD: MSI Spatium M390 M.2 1tb AND Seagate Barracuda 120 2.5 inch ssd 2tb
Fans(not including CPU cooler fan): 5 Noctua 40 ml fans(needed some extra airflow, was the only thing that would fit) and 1 120ml noctua fan, a fan splitter
Case: Fractal Design node 202
Age: everything is 2 years old except the the graphics card which is 3 or 4 years old, the m.2 ssd which I had to replace as the original died about 8ish months ago and the 2.5 inch ssd which was added for more game space just under 2 years ago.

Just some extra information, the computer takes a bit longer than it should to get to the desktop screen when it boots up properly - about 20 seconds to the windows login screen and 38 seconds to desktop (I have no password).

Ok so I took my computer with me to a bed and breakfast. I plugged it in, switched it on and the mouse and keyboard lit up but the screen remained blank.

I took it to my work place and it turned on fine, dont know if it helps, but the work place has an inverter for backup power during a power outages.

Took it back to the bed and breakfast, same problem as before mouse and keyboard light up, nothing displayed on screen.

Up until this point I was using the same cables and screens in all testing.

Next I powered it on at a friends place, with a new screen and cable - it worked fine. My friend also has a backup power inverter that th PC was plugged into. Turned it off and tried with my display port cable and screen, it worked.

Next I took it another bed and breakfast and the issue occured again.

Went to another friends house, same issue when plugged into the wall, but it started working when plugged into a inverter they also had for power outages.

Next day went back to the same friend and it would not work no matter what I did, regardless if it was plugged into the inverter or wall socket.

At this point I called in a IT guy to come and help. We ran an extensive amount of tests. In summary, switching ram woth some ram he brought with seemed to fix it on the 2 boot ups we tested it with, so we tried with only one of my ram sticks and it worked on initial boot. After we closed the case it stopped working again. Then we put both original ram sticks in and it worked no matter what we did. He switched the DP cable and declared it was the cable that was at fault, I doubted it bit I was so happy it was working again and it kept working with a new cable the many times we tested it, so I paid him and he went on his way.

Didn't touch it for 2 days, cuase I was traveling home, but when I did get home and power it up, guess which problem made a reappearance?

I have a bluetooth speaker at home that was previously connected to the PC, and when I switched the computer on at home the screen was blank, the keyboard and mouse lit up and the bluetooth speaker connected to the computer. Evertime the error occured at home, it would also connect to the blutooth speaker as well now. I am also connected to an inverter at home, and tried with multiple different screens and cables.

I opened up the case and removed the ram and put both ram sticks back in, started the PC up with the case still open, it worked. Closed the case, it stopped working.

Opened it again, left it open, removed and put back ram and it worked. It stopped working the next day.

I have noticed that sometimes the mouse and keyboard will light up and switch off and light up again anywhere from 2 times to 4 times per boot up when the screen is blank.

So far removing and reinserting the RAM sometimes gets the machine to boot, if I switch it on and off just after I do the RAM trick after it works twice, it will start up reliably multiple times as long as it is soon after the ram trick. Usually by the next day the problem continues.

I let IT guy know, he suggested I remove some fans to see if power supply is struggling to power everything. I haven't tried this yet, thought I would ask for help online and see what advice I got first.

Any thoughts?

TLDR: Computer sometimes works, sometimes doesnt, when it does not work the screen remains blank, although the bluetooth speaker connects and the mouse and keyboard light up. Tried with many different cables and screens got the same result. Most of the time (not always) taking the RAM out and putting it back will get it to start up again.

Last edited:
CPU: Ryzen R9 3700x
GPU: gigabyte gtx 1080
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570I Aorus pro wifi
RAM: Corsair 32gb DDR3 3200 (2 16gb sticks)
PSU: Corsair SF750
SSD: MSI Spatium M390 M.2 1tb AND Seagate Barracuda 120 2.5 inch ssd 2tb
Fans(not including CPU cooler fan): 5 Noctua 40 ml fans(needed some extra airflow, was the only thing that would fit) and 1 120ml noctua fan, a fan splitter
Case: Fractal Design node 202
Age: everything is 2 years old except the the graphics card which is 3 or 4 years old, the m.2 ssd which I had to replace as the original died about 8ish months ago and the 2.5 inch ssd which was added for more game space just under 2 years ago.

Just some extra information, the computer takes a bit longer than it should to get to the desktop screen when it boots up properly - about 20 seconds to the windows login screen and 38 seconds to desktop (I have no password).

Ok so I took my computer with me to a bed and breakfast. I plugged it in, switched it on and the mouse and keyboard lit up but the screen remained blank.

I took it to my work place and it turned on fine, dont know if it helps, but the work place has an inverter for backup power during a power outages.

Took it back to the bed and breakfast, same problem as before mouse and keyboard light up, nothing displayed on screen.

Up until this point I was using the same cables and screens in all testing.

Next I powered it on at a friends place, with a new screen and cable - it worked fine. My friend also has a backup power inverter that th PC was plugged into. Turned it off and tried with my display port cable and screen, it worked.

Next I took it another bed and breakfast and the issue occured again.

Went to another friends house, same issue when plugged into the wall, but it started working when plugged into a inverter they also had for power outages.

Next day went back to the same friend and it would not work no matter what I did, regardless if it was plugged into the inverter or wall socket.

At this point I called in a IT guy to come and help. We ran an extensive amount of tests. In summary, switching ram woth some ram he brought with seemed to fix it on the 2 boot ups we tested it with, so we tried with only one of my ram sticks and it worked on initial boot. After we closed the case it stopped working again. Then we put both original ram sticks in and it worked no matter what we did. He switched the DP cable and declared it was the cable that was at fault, I doubted it bit I was so happy it was working again and it kept working with a new cable the many times we tested it, so I paid him and he went on his way.

Didn't touch it for 2 days, cuase I was traveling home, but when I did get home and power it up, guess which problem made a reappearance?

I have a bluetooth speaker at home that was previously connected to the PC, and when I switched the computer on at home the screen was blank, the keyboard and mouse lit up and the bluetooth speaker connected to the computer. Evertime the error occured at home, it would also connect to the blutooth speaker as well now. I am also connected to an inverter at home, and tried with multiple different screens and cables.

I opened up the case and removed the ram and put both ram sticks back in, started the PC up with the case still open, it worked. Closed the case, it stopped working.

Opened it again, left it open, removed and put back ram and it worked. It stopped working the next day.

I have noticed that sometimes the mouse and keyboard will light up and switch off and light up again anywhere from 2 times to 4 times per boot up when the screen is blank.

So far removing and reinserting the RAM sometimes gets the machine to boot, if I switch it on and off just after I do the RAM trick after it works twice, it will start up reliably multiple times as long as it is soon after the ram trick. Usually by the next day the problem continues.

I let IT guy know, he suggested I remove some fans to see if power supply is struggling to power everything. I haven't tried this yet, thought I would ask for help online and see what advice I got first.

Any thoughts?

TLDR: Computer sometimes works, sometimes doesnt, when it does not work the screen remains blank, although the bluetooth speaker connects and the mouse and keyboard light up. Tried with many different cables and screens got the same result. Most of the time (not always) taking the RAM out and putting it back will get it to start up again.
Cheap test......replace the bios bat.