Question Computer screens freeze, audio will still play though, requires a hard reset to use computer again ?

Dec 8, 2022
Hello, i recently upgraded my PC. but i have run into an issue where My monitors will both freeze up. but if i have a video playing in the background i can still hear the audio.
I have tried:
  • Reinstalling my graphics drivers.
  • Updating my Bios for my motherboard. aswell as
  • Swapping out wires from the PSU to see if any of these were the problem
with no luck.

Current pc specs are as follows
MSI Gaming AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MH
CORSAIR CX-M CX750M 750 W ATX 80 PLUS BRONZE

The issue happens very sporadically. sometimes it happens after 2 hours of gaming. sometimes after 12 hours. and ive run out of ideas to fix it. please help.

Dec 8, 2022
Everything Is new. Aside from my storage. I use a western digital 1tb m.2 drive. Aswell as 2 Samsung 1tb ssd.

This problem has never happened to me before

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022
I decided to reset everything today. i deleted all 3 SSD's and reinstalled windows on my m.2. reinstalled all drivers and updates as i could. hopefully this fixes it.

Dec 8, 2022
i'll give a quick rundown on what i had attempted.

After having the crashing errors. i Reformatted both of my SSD's and deleted all files from them, After that i deleted all partitions on my m.2 drive VIA Windows installation from a USB. and fresh installed windows onto the m.2
What came next was using DDU in safe mode to remove any AMD Drivers that may have been installed by windows. followed by installing the latest drivers for my GPU (MSI GTX 6600XT) directly from AMD's website.
After installing the GPU Drivers, i moved onto installing the latest Chipset drivers for my motherboard (Asus TUF b550 plus)
After installing both i tested the system by playing first a less graphic intensive game. Then moved onto a more graphic intensive game for about an hour with no issues.
However after playing games for about 2 hours today. my system crashed again.

I have not updated the LAN Drivers. Audio Drivers. or Windows 10 itself.

Current system complete specs are as follows:
MSI Gaming AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz
CORSAIR CX-M CX750M 750 W ATX 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Semi-Modular Power Supply
Western Digital WD BLACK SN850 NVMe M.2 2280 1TB
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA 2.5" Internal SSD (Two of these)

Last edited by a moderator:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Update the audio/lan drivers. What can happen is the audio gets stuck temporarily, a conflict with something else happening, that doesn't necessarily even involve the game, could be as simple as a date code violation or version error. When that happens, the audio and video drop out of sync and the video keeps demanding the audio drivers play nice. Which in turn means the video drivers try opening the same drivers or files that are already in use, which doesn't work, causing the video drivers to crash.

Vilesyde

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2016
Update the audio/lan drivers. What can happen is the audio gets stuck temporarily, a conflict with something else happening, that doesn't necessarily even involve the game, could be as simple as a date code violation or version error. When that happens, the audio and video drop out of sync and the video keeps demanding the audio drivers play nice. Which in turn means the video drivers try opening the same drivers or files that are already in use, which doesn't work, causing the video drivers to crash.

Hey @Karadjgne can you take a peak at my post as well? See if anything comes to mind? I am having a similar problem. I play COD MW2 Remastered and after a while it freezes hard, the mouse still works, but beeps at me if i click and nothing else works, windows freezes i cant even reboot i have to power down and restart whole pc. Here is a link to my post.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/game-freezes-entire-pc.3786236/#post-22875789

Dec 8, 2022
A hybrid Nvidia AMD GPU... you sure confused me with that one. :)

are you getting any error codes in reliability history?
no bsod?
does it crash to desktop? or freeze?
Did you make a new installer for win 10?
Sorry, im so flustered my brain isnt processing things properly. No BSOD just a straight up freeze. I made a brand new installer for win 10. And im not sure where to look for errors in reliable history

Dec 8, 2022
Alright, i'll give updating the audio drivers a shot. Thanks for the info.

Dec 8, 2022
So, my pc crashed again, i checked the reliable history and all it says is "The previous system shutdown at 10:09:11 PM on ‎2022-‎12-‎10 was unexpected."

Colif

Win 11 Master
Freezing isn't generally what Windows does.
Windows doesn't know why it shutdown.

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.
Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it
run it overnight unless problem is constant enough that you might as well run it now.

Dec 8, 2022
Freezing isn't generally what Windows does.
Windows doesn't know why it shutdown.

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.
Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it
run it overnight unless problem is constant enough that you might as well run it now.
Its constant enough to annoy the hell out of me. so i'll give this a shot. thanks for the assistance

Dec 8, 2022
Any update to this as my pc is doing the same since august 2022 and I’ve not been able to find out wats wrong

specs are
Amd 5900x
6800xt
32gb Ram

Unfortunately not. i Returned the card for repairs. which stopped the issue from happening for roughly a day. and then boom. same issue, ive since returned the card completely and swapped over to a gtx 3070 TI. and had no issues since.