Question Computer seems to short-circuit without any apparent cause

MeDoMiHD

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
Hey there! I'm pretty new here, so sorry in advance.

I have built my own computer about 3 or 4 years ago and lately my computer seems to act weird. First the specs list
-CPU: AMD FX-4300
-MOBO: Gigabyte G970A-DS3P
-GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 750ti FTW
-RAM: 2x 4GB DDR3 Kingston HyperX Fury
-PSU: Sharkoon 500W 80+ Bronze
-STORAGE: 1x 1TB HDD Seagate Barracuda, 1x 60GB SSD Kingston, 1x 240GB SSD SanDisk
-CASE:
Running on Windows 10 Pro version 1803, build 17134.590

I have had no trouble with it, until I bought a new USB condenser microphone. I'm not sure if that is the problem, but I might as well say it.
Whenever I booted the computer, it would just turn off completely, to such a point that not even the buttons on the case work anymore. I have to switch off my PSU for 30 seconds before my pc works again, and hope that it now boots successfully. In the beginning, it only happened the first time trying to boot, when the equipment was still cold, or whatever. After some time, it began to happen multiple times in a row and eventually, yesterday, I had to clear my CMOS to make it work again. It booted successfully but after an hour, the same thing happened.

I wanted to test what the problem was because a couple of friends of mine and me thought the problem either was with the PSU or the motherboard. So i first took out all peripherals, even my monitors, ethernet and sound peripherals. It booted without any problems. I got a PSU to try to see if the problem would be solved, but after I found this out, I slowly replugged the peripherals and see if the problem lays within some ports on the motherboard. Right now I'm writing this on my fully functional PC with all peripherals replugged, but I don't know when the next time is that this would happen again. At least I was lucky enough that it didn't happen while writing this.

Anyone got an idea? All USB ports seem to work, but two days ago my computer would even get to the point of booting Windows because of the amount of crashes. I also don't know if these are short-circuits or just crashes. Anyone got an idea? Please let me know, because I would love to find out.

Greetings, Melvin

MeDoMiHD

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
Oh! I forgot to tell, I did overclock my PC a while ago, but it seemed to be stable because it held for about 2 months. Now that I cleared the CMOS I don't overclock anymore. Temperatures also weren't really high, about 50C was the max.

MeDoMiHD

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
The Power supply would be the first thing I would look at. Sharkoon is not the best and has in many times falsified its specifications.

In all honesty, it sounds like your power supply is dying, imho.
Hey, thanks for the response!

After all my Sharkoon PSU crashed again, so I changed out my PSU with a 450 Watt PSU from my cousin, which is Corsair. For now my pc works but I'll give an update whenever it failed and if not, you'll hear from me in about a week.

Have a nice day!
Melvin