Computer seems to turn on but no display or USB power

Ericwins

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
I've got a friends computer here that I'm trying to fix, I'm hoping someone can help a little.

The computer was working fine, and a few days ago it completely turned off, and upon reboot:

Motherboard: H-Alpinia-RS780L-uATX

My friend says that if he trys turning it on and off multiple times that eventually the keyboard lights will come on and everything works fine until he turns it off, but he says that when it is on that he can use the
restart option and the computer will restart perfectly fine, but if he chooses shut down then it wont work when he tries turning it back on.

The computer turns on and the light on the motherboard is lit green and all the fans are spinning and you can hear the hard drive working and the cd drive works fine but there is no display on the screen
it just stays "No signal" and also the lights on keyboard / mouse aren't turning on like usual when the computer starts, the mouse flashes for less than one split second once i click the power button but
then it turns off, and if I unplug it and plug it back in when the pc is on the light flashes again and then turns off, however, if I put my USB key into there and put it in extremely slowly (otherwise it wont work)
then my usb flashes up and everything but it doesn't do that with the mouse or keyboard.

I have tried a different monitor, different cables, a brand new power supply, I've reseated the ram and cleared the contacts, I've also tried unplugging everything and just keeping the vga cable connected to the onboard graphics card and only having 1 ram card of 2gb, and alternating between the 4 places to put the ram and also tried 2 other rams of the same type. I've also ensured that everything is plugged correctly and that the power supply connectors in the motherboard are in right. I've also tried turning it on without any ram at all and it doesn't show any display of course but the computer does beep.

Although I can't explain the why of it, I'll suggest replacing the CMOS battery - I've seen that behavior before when the battery was going bad
Have you looked over the motherboard for swollen or leaky capacitors? I'd be looking around the I/O area for bad caps personally, if all appear to be okay, then change the CMOS battery

bharathbigb

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2013
Hi Mr.Ericwins,I am Bharath from India.I think the problem lies with your GPU and USB Drivers.Worser,With your copy of Windows Installation.It can also be with the Graphic Card Selection Setting in the BIOS.Is there more that 1 GPU in your PC ? Did you try to connecting the Monitor in the HDMI Slot ? Did you try Connecting different monitors ? Please try this

1) Shut it Down,Remove every cable OUTSIDE,Take off the Side Panel,Clean It with an Air Blower or Vaccum Cleaner and let it sit Unconnected or 20-30 Minutes in a Clean Room (With AC is Preferrable)

2) While it's sitting,Check every single Cable Inside the PC,Or Simply Reconnect them but While Reconnecting them,Clean the Sockets (Reconnect Inside the PC)

3) Reconnect Every Cable OUTSIDE (Don't forget To Clean Their Sockets),Including the Power Cable,Wait for Some-time (30 Seconds to 1 Minute)

Turn ON the PC

NOTE-DO NOT test it Now !! We still have some steps left !

1) Download Driver Booster Free from iObit and Install them (You can make it PRO by learning in Youtube)

2) At first Open,It will automatically scan for Outdated Drivers

3) After Searching,It will show the Results and All you have to do is tap 'Update'

It must Work.After all this,They must be Fixed.Please do tell the result after doing all this.Thank you

Ericwins

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013

Hey,

I haven't yet changed a CMOS battery on a motherboard yet, I don't know where I would buy a new CMOS battery or how to install it, is it easy to install? and where could I find a CMOS battery for the motherboard (H-Alpinia-RS780L-uATX) - Would it just be better to get a new motherboard? and if so, what one would I get because the H-Alpinia-RS780L-uATX is a HP motherboard and isn't sold anywhere...

The CMOS battery is the little watch type battery on the motherboard, it is usually a very common size, CR3032 seems to be the most common used and can be found almost anywhere they sell batteries.
That is a workable motherboard but it is quite a bit more expensive than a $2 battery, what CPU are you working with here?