[SOLVED] Computer sees harddrive, but I cannot open it

Backintheda

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
Hello,

I recently came back from a trip and I go to turn on my PC only to discover that it cannot find the operating system. I attempted to repair it using the Windows 7 64bit CD, but it couldn't even see that an operating system was installed to attempt to repair it.

I did a clean install of Windows 7 64bit to another hard drive, I not have access to my desktop. I have a total of 4 hard drives, 1 HDD that is purely for storage, 1 SSD that my OS was originally installed on it, and two separate SSDs for various other things.

https://imgur.com/a/BsL9AXo

In disk management, the computer only recognizes 3 hard drives, 2 of the SSDs(not the one where my original OS was installed)and my HDD. However, from my computer I cannot see my HDD, I can only view it in disk management, however, when I right click it to 'open' it, the option is greyed out. Why is this so? When I physically remove the SATA cable from the drive, the computer recognizes that it's been unplugged, and it disappears from the disk management.

Kind of a separate question, but how often do SSDs go bad? It was working fine a week ago and last night it appears to have completely crashed.

Assign drive letter to your "Storage" partition.

Don't do that. This may cause data corruption.

Not very often, but still possible.

Backintheda

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015

Thank you. Adding the drive letter allowed me to access the drive. But as far as my original SSD, is there anyway(other than the computer not seeing it at all)to see if it's dead?