[SOLVED] Computer Shocked me?

Jun 16, 2019
85
0
30
0
I had my computer plugged into a grounded outlet and I went to turn on my computer and I felt a little shock when I touched my chassis,is my pc damaged?Ive never been shocked my pc before and now I’ve moved it to an extended power cable which has a surge protector.I just want to know if I damage my pc
 

extreme_noob

Commendable
Jul 30, 2018
1,052
136
1,690
55
It boots, I thought that if my Pc was grounded then it shouldn’t give shocks? Also what do you mean by most likely no, could there be something wrong?
You should be fine, but the best way to know is to see if it boots and performs how it did. If your pc is grounded it's actually more likely to give you static shock because the charge now moves to an actual ground. Remember that the static shock is caused by charge moving from one object to another. Increased rate of flow, or current, is going to give you a larger shock.

Your pc is almost definitely fine, since it was on the case.
 

extreme_noob

Commendable
Jul 30, 2018
1,052
136
1,690
55
If it was on the case, most likely no. You likely discharged through the case, which can hold more charge and thus acts as a sort of ground. If your chassis is connected to ground, thats even better.

But the best way to figure out is to see if your pc boots.
 
Jun 16, 2019
85
0
30
0
Hey guys,I went to turn on my pc this morning and I always touch my case before touching the power button, today I felt a little shock,did I damage my Pc?
 
Jun 16, 2019
85
0
30
0
If it was on the case, most likely no. You likely discharged through the case, which can hold more charge and thus acts as a sort of ground. If your chassis is connected to ground, thats even better.

But the best way to figure out is to see if your pc boots.
It boots, I thought that if my Pc was grounded then it shouldn’t give shocks? Also what do you mean by most likely no, could there be something wrong?
 

extreme_noob

Commendable
Jul 30, 2018
1,052
136
1,690
55
It boots, I thought that if my Pc was grounded then it shouldn’t give shocks? Also what do you mean by most likely no, could there be something wrong?
You should be fine, but the best way to know is to see if it boots and performs how it did. If your pc is grounded it's actually more likely to give you static shock because the charge now moves to an actual ground. Remember that the static shock is caused by charge moving from one object to another. Increased rate of flow, or current, is going to give you a larger shock.

Your pc is almost definitely fine, since it was on the case.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS