Computer shocks me when I touch it.

John1

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
3
0
18,510
0
Looking for your thoughts....I was wondering about the grounding of my computer, but now think it might be me! All too often I thouch my computer and get a fairly good 'snap' shock. Anything I can do???
Thanks All,
John
 

John1

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
3
0
18,510
0


Good to know...PC's OK, it's new...I'd 'hate' to short it??? I do have rugs in the house (no feet rubbing) usually wear socks and shoes and fleece stuff....I'll contact a rug/flooring store, I hope more vacumning doesn't help! Maybe a spray or the like. Anybody have any ideas about the rugs, besides ripping them out.
Thanks All,
John
 

reedy777

Honorable
May 3, 2012
50
0
10,640
3
i'll only ever get a static shock from my pc. for example when i go to change a usb or something i never get a static shock from anything else. also if i change a front usb, get a shock and then go to plug in my optical link cable at the back and get anothe shock like 3 seconds later. this has happened someone said the psu might not be grounding the mobo properly ? its not like i shimmy across my living room like mc hammer in socks.

do you really think its me and not the computer?
 
Oct 12, 2018
2
0
10
0
You should most likely touch something metal before you go near your PC because static can be deadly to componenents and the mother because if your overcharge then and then release all that energy in a single moment it could fry your motherboard, try touching something metal but touching the case won’t fry anything in your PC due to it conducting it away from the components, my point here is, ground yourself before you touch any components

You’re Welcome.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY