Computer shocks me when I touch it.

John1

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Looking for your thoughts....I was wondering about the grounding of my computer, but now think it might be me! All too often I thouch my computer and get a fairly good 'snap' shock. Anything I can do???
Thanks All,
John

Solution
Lmao.

Yes its you not the pc its self, the fact you get a shock tells you your PC case is grounded, and your building up alot of static up ...

John1

Distinguished
May 9, 2010

Good to know...PC's OK, it's new...I'd 'hate' to short it??? I do have rugs in the house (no feet rubbing) usually wear socks and shoes and fleece stuff....I'll contact a rug/flooring store, I hope more vacumning doesn't help! Maybe a spray or the like. Anybody have any ideas about the rugs, besides ripping them out.
Thanks All,
John

reedy777

Honorable
May 3, 2012
i'll only ever get a static shock from my pc. for example when i go to change a usb or something i never get a static shock from anything else. also if i change a front usb, get a shock and then go to plug in my optical link cable at the back and get anothe shock like 3 seconds later. this has happened someone said the psu might not be grounding the mobo properly ? its not like i shimmy across my living room like mc hammer in socks.

do you really think its me and not the computer?

Oct 12, 2018
You should most likely touch something metal before you go near your PC because static can be deadly to componenents and the mother because if your overcharge then and then release all that energy in a single moment it could fry your motherboard, try touching something metal but touching the case won’t fry anything in your PC due to it conducting it away from the components, my point here is, ground yourself before you touch any components

You’re Welcome.