[SOLVED] Computer shop couldn't solve my issue...

ircreative121212

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2012
Been getting crashes and reboots for about a year. I tried a bunch of stuff throughout the year by swapping out all parts, reformatting and installing Windows 10. Finally took it to a computer shop. They found my closed loop to be failed and I was getting thermal shutdowns. They fixed, and I still am getting same symptoms of crashing. It doesn't leave any errors.

So at this point, after 2.5 weeks in the shop, the computer guys have no idea what to do. All hardware looks fine, tests fine individually, passes all tests under full system load. Windows is refreshed. Up to date drivers. Literally everything is fresh..

The restarts and crashes are completely random too. I'll go 5 days with no issues, then get 5-6 reboots at a time for. The other night I crashed 3-4 times... it game a blue screen with a button "restart" and before I clicked restart the computer crashed and restarted back into windows.

I have.... literally.... no idea what to do.

Solution
So along with code 41, the event viewer had code 219 around the time of the crashes.
The 219 is related to devices loading drivers and if it fails you get this error, however, it can be ignored unless there are continuous errors for the same thing on the same device. I have a suggestion that is a long shot but why not?

1. Open Start.

2. Search for Command Prompt, right-click the top result, and select the Run as administrator option.

3. Type the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete:
SFC /scannow

4. Type the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

5. Type the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete:
DISM /Online...
Make a Memtest86 USB, and see if it can complete a looping RAM test run overnight with no errors/resets...

Also, a complete list of specs would be helpful...

.and, include what parts were changed, and, left changed, if you know for sure new parts were left in, although even that does not guarantee all parts are good, of course)

The fact that some parts were changed does not mean they were left in, or that they were good, or , that you do not have more than one issue....

A very easy thing to try is run off of one RAM stick at a reasonable speed (say, default 2133 MHz if an Intel system), and test for stability...

Reactions: ircreative121212

ircreative121212

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2012
Thank you guys for the responses. nothing is OC
Intel core i7 4790k
ASUSTek mobo model B85M-G (this is brand new because I supposed my old one was bad, both mobos have same restart symptoms) Other board was ASUS too.
Ripjaw ddr3, 16 gb (original 8 gb, then swapped with another 8 gb same exact brand/model. same symptoms with both. Currently have all 16 gb in)
Nvidia Gforce GTX 780 (used onboard graphics for awhile, still had same symptoms)
850 wat EVGA gold rated supply (tried another supply, same symptoms) tested house power flucuations, all good. plus im getting same symptoms multiple geographic locations.
Originally had windows 8 with all the crashes. currently have win 10. same symptoms with both.

ircreative121212

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2012
Seems about the only thing you did not swap is the CPU. You did a full clean Windows setup correct not just a repair.

correct. formatted all drives, fresh in. I may at one point swapped and used my i5 processor but I cant remember. I think that was the next thing I was going to try, just wanted to make sure someone didn't see anything that I am overlooking.

ircreative121212

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2012
Make a Memtest86 USB, and see if it can complete a looping RAM test run overnight with no errors/resets...

Also, a complete list of specs would be helpful...

.and, include what parts were changed, and, left changed, if you know for sure new parts were left in, although even that does not guarantee all parts are good, of course)

The fact that some parts were changed does not mean they were left in, or that they were good, or , that you do not have more than one issue....

A very easy thing to try is run off of one RAM stick at a reasonable speed (say, default 2133 MHz if an Intel system), and test for stability...

I did the single ram stick, ran for the day but then in the morning it crashed 6 times. Swapped ramsticks, crashed. I guessing since it passed ram test in the shop over 24 hours we are fine on ram.

I did the single ram stick, ran for the day but then in the morning it crashed 6 times. Swapped ramsticks, crashed. I guessing since it passed ram test in the shop over 24 hours we are fine on ram.
The RAM is presumably fine. Just in the off chance have you kept the same PSU power cable across all the PSU's you have tried? If so make sure you are using the one that the PSU came with. I would seriously think about swapping back to the older i5 to see if issues still remain. You said that when you gave the system to the computer repair shop that they said it was having thermal issues, right? That means that damage could have already been done to the internal structure of the 4790k. I would harken to guess that is your most likely issue at this point.

ircreative121212

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2012
The RAM is presumably fine. Just in the off chance have you kept the same PSU power cable across all the PSU's you have tried? If so make sure you are using the one that the PSU came with. I would seriously think about swapping back to the older i5 to see if issues still remain. You said that when you gave the system to the computer repair shop that they said it was having thermal issues, right? That means that damage could have already been done to the internal structure of the 4790k. I would harken to guess that is your most likely issue at this point.

Ok so last night I swapped into the i5 and I crashed on startup. :*( I will keep testing with the i5 stability. all 16 gb ram are back in.

Very discouraged as I've spent money to try and get it fixed by professional. tested all parts, they tested all parts, it just really don't know what to try next.

so about the PSU power cable, I have been using the same one, however when I took it to the computer shop, it was crashing there too on a different power cable.

Ok so last night I swapped into the i5 and I crashed on startup. :*( I will keep testing with the i5 stability. all 16 gb ram are back in.

Very discouraged as I've spent money to try and get it fixed by professional. tested all parts, they tested all parts, it just really don't know what to try next.

so about the PSU power cable, I have been using the same one, however when I took it to the computer shop, it was crashing there too on a different power cable.
What is Event Viewer saying about these crashes?

ircreative121212

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2012

Thanks! I did all the steps other than hardware related as the computer tech already confirmed hardware was "fine" and drivers/bios were updated.

So this time when I loaded up into CSGO the computer froze in place. When I restarted, I loaded up csgo. Played a couple rounds and then I crashed out of the game (so far no restarts because of the new settings)

So along with code 41, the event viewer had code 219 around the time of the crashes.

Thoughts?

The 219 is related to devices loading drivers and if it fails you get this error, however, it can be ignored unless there are continuous errors for the same thing on the same device. I have a suggestion that is a long shot but why not?

1. Open Start.

2. Search for Command Prompt, right-click the top result, and select the Run as administrator option.

3. Type the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete:
SFC /scannow

4. Type the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

5. Type the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

6. Type the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

7. If step 3 failed but steps 4-6 found corruption and fixed it repeat step 3 again.

Report back when this finishes (5-10 min)

This will make sure that the version of windows you are on is fine and that no corrupted fragments from previous iterations or install have carried over and are causing problems.

Solution