Question Computer shut down and smell coming from GPU

therealzeus

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
I recently purchased a cyber power pc on Black Friday and today while watching YouTube the computer instantly shut down and a burnt smell is coming from my GPU. No other parts were emitting a smell. I replaced the stock PSU with a Corsair RM 750 last Friday and didn’t have any issues. The GPU that came with the computer was DOA so I put in an old nvidia 760gtx I had laying around. I should be getting the new GPU tomorrow in the mail. I immediately unplugged everything and haven’t turned the pc on since. Do you think it is just my GPU or could it be more?

my specs:
Ryzen 5 3600
Nvidia 760 gtx
Corsair RM 750
16 GB RAM

any idea who made the gpu that fried on you?

But that's not what you asked: I'd be worried about the PSU mostly. Hopefully it's over current protection isn't just a one-time deal.

I'd be really careful swapping parts as Cyberpower may claim it was your hardware that caused faults and void warranty.

therealzeus

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
any idea who made the gpu that fried on you?

But that's not what you asked: I'd be worried about the PSU mostly. Hopefully it's over current protection isn't just a one-time deal.

I'd be really careful swapping parts as Cyberpower may claim it was your hardware that caused faults and void warranty.

old GPU is from EVGA. I was thinking it may be the PSU but didn’t think that would happen with the PSU being reliable model and having no issues with it for about 5 days. I’ve read about the stock PSU they use and it causing parts to fry which is why I wanted to replace it. The tech support told me to replace to the GPU to test out and make sure it was the GPU that was DOA. I may end up returning the whole thing to Best Buy where I got it if the new GPU doesn’t get it working 100% correctly. I have until the 6th to do that.

TRENDING THREADS