Question Computer shut down, burning smell & Not turning back on

QCube

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014
106
0
10,690
3
Hey there,

so I've had my computer for about 4 years (self-built). I was on my computer last night with no issues and out of nowhere, the computer has shut down. I try turning it back on and it won't turn back on at all. I stood up and immediately started smelling burning components as did my girlfriend sat across the room.

I turned the PSU off pretty quickly and left it a while to cool down. I tried about an hour or two later and it now won't turn on at all (still light going to the mobo)

I've started disassembling one by one to find the problematic area and I've come to no conclusion... I've taken the computer apart and cleaned everything down. as a precaution I took the cpu cooler off, cleaned both the pump head and cpu down with isopropanol, applied some Arctic cooling mx-4 thermal compound and reinstalled. I seen no damage to the cpu, nothing to the back of the motherboard behind the cpu. I checked all the hard drives, pulled each one out, couldn't smell any burning on any of the hard drives or any damage to them.

I've taken out the PSU and can't smell anything on this either. To check the PSU hasn't failed I completely removed it from the case and using the detection tool, the PSU still powered on with the fan moving.

The GPU still looks in good condition and wouldn't prevent me from turning it on.

I've also tried booting the computer from the 'START' button on the motherboard and it still hasn't started. Nor does it power on from the switch.

I literally have no idea what else to check... I can post pictures of anything requested if it at all helps but I can't smell any burning lingering smell, it's also worth mentioning that when the power supply is turned on, the motherboard still lights up in its usual manner (Board has red LEDs on board) as well as the start and reset buttons on the motherboard still lighting up. LEDs are also lighting up on keyboard, mouse and mousemat.

PC specs are below:

Intel i7 4790K (wasn't overclocked at time of it turning off)
EVGA GTX 980Ti Superclocked 6GB
Asus Maximus hero VII LGA1150
Corsair Vengence 16GB 2333Mhz (2 x 8GB)
Corsair h110i GTX cooler
2 Western digitial 1TB blue
256GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD
NTZX Hue+
EVGA G2 Supernova 850W Gold PSU


Any thoughts or recommendations?

Cheers
 
Dec 15, 2019
34
2
45
5
Well, i don't have any experience with burning pc smells, but to me this means that some potentially important part of your pc was damaged, or maybe even destroyed D:

Does your motherboard have Debug leds ? and if so, does any of them turn on when your start your pc ?
 

QCube

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014
106
0
10,690
3
Well, i don't have any experience with burning pc smells, but to me this means that some potentially important part of your pc was damaged, or maybe even destroyed D:

Does your motherboard have Debug leds ? and if so, does any of them turn on when your start your pc ?
I'm guessing so too but I'm finding it increadibly difficult to locate what the problem was. I thought it was PSU but after pulling it out and testing it, it worked fine. Motherboard lights up when the 24pin power is connected. I've tried the start button, and memory reset, as well as a small reset button on the board. Only thing I haven't done is removed the cmos battery but I don't see how this would prove helpful.

CPU looked in good shape with no burn marks to the pump head or back of the motherboard.

Cant see no debug LEDs however other than the standard reset button, and clear memory switch, both do nothing.
 

QCube

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014
106
0
10,690
3
Computer (broken) View: https://imgur.com/a/Vxomq15


Update:
I've disassembled best part of my computer. Rechecked over most things and still cannot find a solution... I've attached pictures as I go along. No reported issues with hard drives or the SSD, checked all wiring and connections, cpu power is still connected. I've rechecked all the front I/O connections (power, reset, etc) and all are good. Still not powering on.

When hitting the power button, I hear the click of the power supply turning on and then immediately shuts off (fan not spinning with eco off), however when I checked the psu with the tester tool, it powers on fine.

I'm really struggling as to where to go next with diagnosing. Any help?
 

QCube

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014
106
0
10,690
3
As I mentioned above, I have the Asus maximus VII hero motherboard (LGA1150), I still have my invoice and I registered my product with Asus when I purchased the motherboard. Purchase date was 28/12/2015. Would a defective motherboard in this instance be covered by warranty? I'm also worried that removing vrm heatsink would void any warranty in the first place. I could be completely wrong but thought I'd ask here first.
 
As I mentioned above, I have the Asus maximus VII hero motherboard (LGA1150), I still have my invoice and I registered my product with Asus when I purchased the motherboard. Purchase date was 28/12/2015. Would a defective motherboard in this instance be covered by warranty? I'm also worried that removing vrm heatsink would void any warranty in the first place. I could be completely wrong but thought I'd ask here first.
If you have a valid warranty why are you hesitating ?
 

QCube

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014
106
0
10,690
3
If you have a valid warranty why are you hesitating ?
I can't find any information to Asus motherboard warranty for the UK. There's a live chat and call option for the US & Canada but even going through their troubleshooting, I can't seem to find a warranty service or a way for checking if my motherboard still holds any warranty anyway.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS