[SOLVED] Computer Shut Down During High Graphics

Sep 22, 2019
Hello! I am new here and hoping you all can help. I just upgraded my processor and while running the simulaotr DCS 2.5, I got into a high graphics situation and the system just shut down?! I am wondering if it is the new processor and or heat issue? It is fine under normal conditions, just shuts down if I get into a high graphics part like crashing with smoke and fire. I did find that if I ran the AMD OverDrive software and turned down the clock from 3.8 to 3.0GHz it seems ok in the game. Can you help please? Here are my specs:

Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
HP Pavilion p6540y Desktop PC
H-RS880-uATX (Aloe) Mother Board
AMD Phenom ii X4 980 3.8GHz Processor - (Original was the Phenom ii X4 830 2.8Ghz Processor)
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD
16GB ( (2) 8 GB Sticks) A-Tech DDR3 1333Mhz PC3 10600 RAM
GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5 128bit Graphics Card

Thanks!!

Solution
Wonderful! I will do just that. I will get a PSU that can handle the new GPU. Guess computer specs aren't very flexible lol. I am guessing probably a 500W should do the trick? Thanks guys! 😁
HOLD.
You shouldn't get just 'any 500w psu'. Never cheap out on power supplies, or you could end up like this person: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...has-weird-smell-won’t-boot.3526652/?view=date
A cheap psu cost them their gpu, and maybe more.

It's bloody loony how people will spend a few hundred bucks on cpus and gpus, but can't be bothered to spend even $100 on a decent power supply(the heart of the system)...

Give us a budget, and we can direct - or try to, at least - direct you towards a decent...
What is your power supply? Was it ever changed meaning it's the original or did you upgrade it? If it's the original, then not only is it 10ish years old but it also likely wasn't built for higher end video cards. Are you using a 6pin PCI adapter to power the video card?

Sep 22, 2019

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You can't keep using that power supply. I looked it up, and it only delivers AT MAX, 14A on the +12v rail = 168w![With age, it's less than this.]
That is not enough for a factory overclocked GTX 1650(75w card) + Phenom ii X4 980(up to 105w!) = 180w!

Sep 22, 2019
Awh yes, the old PSU. The wrench in my gears. I am hoping that is the problem because I read reviews on the Phenom 980 BE and they said running the standard heatsink and fan is fine for it. Therefore, the PSU being the problem makes since. Geforce does recommend a 300 Watt PSU, I was hoping to pinch by with the 250 :-D What PSU would you guys recommend for this setup?

Awh yes, the old PSU. The wrench in my gears. I am hoping that is the problem because I read reviews on the Phenom 980 BE and they said running the standard heatsink and fan is fine for it. Therefore, the PSU being the problem makes since. Geforce does recommend a 300 Watt PSU, I was hoping to pinch by with the 250 :-D What PSU would you guys recommend for this setup?
Until you get a new powersupply, I would either put the phenom ii x4 830 back in the system or keep the 980 underclocked to 2.8Ghz and use msi after burner so you can lower the power limit on the GTX 1650 to about 67-68%. Doing this should lower power use by around 40-50watts depending on what the 980 is using when gaming.

Sep 22, 2019
Wonderful! I will do just that. I will get a PSU that can handle the new GPU. Guess computer specs aren't very flexible lol. I am guessing probably a 500W should do the trick? Thanks guys! 😁

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
HOLD.
You shouldn't get just 'any 500w psu'. Never cheap out on power supplies, or you could end up like this person: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...has-weird-smell-won’t-boot.3526652/?view=date
A cheap psu cost them their gpu, and maybe more.

It's bloody loony how people will spend a few hundred bucks on cpus and gpus, but can't be bothered to spend even $100 on a decent power supply(the heart of the system)...

Give us a budget, and we can direct - or try to, at least - direct you towards a decent unit without breaking too much bank.

Solution
Sep 22, 2019
Wow! I just figured to get a general one from the internet. My budget would certainly entertain something under $100. I was able to get the GPU and CPU for a really good price. I like Amazon if that is possible. ?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $69.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-22 23:08 EDT-0400

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($90.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $90.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-22 23:08 EDT-0400

The difference? The Corsair is Semi-modular(only some of the cables are removable), the Seasonic is Fully Modular(plug in only the cables you need).

Sep 22, 2019
Thanks Phaaze88! Great choices. I will be going with the Corsair as a full modular design is no big thing since I am running a PSU now that is completely not modular! Wonderful, thanks everyone for your help and insight. I will be upgrading my PSU for a more stable system :)