[SOLVED] Computer shut down issue

shrapsky

Prominent
Oct 5, 2020
Hello,

Really frustrated over here and trying to get some help. I recently built a computer (1st time) for some gaming. I got it up an running (or so I thought), but when playing Fortnite, it will randomly (and without warning) completely shut down the entire computer. It doesn't happen immediately when launching Fortnite, and sometimes I've gotten through a few full games before it happens. No predictability to it.

I have tried updating all the drivers (NVIDIA, Bios, Windows, etc.) I can think of, and the problem still occurs. I know there are issues reported with the GeForce 30 series, but from what I've read they're not really with the FE ones, and its more of a crash-to-desktop issue than a complete shut down of the PC.

Any thoughts or similar experience help would be greatly appreciated!

PC specs-
Ryzen 9 3900X
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
Gigabyte Aorus x570- Pro WIFI
G. Skill Ripjaw 2x16mb D4 3600 Ram
2x WD Black 1 TB SSDs
EVGA 850w 80+Gold PSU

Solution
If anyone was wondering - I switched to a 1000w platinum corsair PSU (swapped out my EVGA 850w Gold+) and haven't had the issue since. Seemed the PSU was the problem. Not sure if it was a bad PSU or if 850w just wasn't enough power for it.
Hello,

Really frustrated over here and trying to get some help. I recently built a computer (1st time) for some gaming. I got it up an running (or so I thought), but when playing Fortnite, it will randomly (and without warning) completely shut down the entire computer. It doesn't happen immediately when launching Fortnite, and sometimes I've gotten through a few full games before it happens. No predictability to it.

I have tried updating all the drivers (NVIDIA, Bios, Windows, etc.) I can think of, and the problem still occurs. I know there are issues reported with the GeForce 30 series, but from what I've read they're not really with the FE ones, and its more of a crash-to-desktop issue than a complete shut down of the PC.

PC specs-
Ryzen 9 3900X
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
2x WD Black 1 TB SSDs
EVGA 850w 80+Gold PSU
System temps are you sure the cpu cooler is fully seated properly

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
Hello,

PC specs-
Ryzen 9 3900X
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
2x WD Black 1 TB SSDs
EVGA 850w 80+Gold PSU

So do you have a FE model or another? Because AIB models supposedly have lower quality capacitors, making cross talk and crashing the GPU. If it is that, then there isn't really a fix except for disabling any boosting algorithms lowering its clock speed, which is why its crashing

shrapsky

Prominent
Oct 5, 2020
System temps are you sure the cpu cooler is fully seated properly

The cooler (Wraith Prism cooler that came with the Ryzen 9) is what I'm using, and appears to be seated corrected.

As for temps, just ran through a game of Fortnite and the highest I saw the CPU get was 72 degrees, usually around 60-65 degrees. The GPU stayed steady around 65-67 degrees.

So do you have a FE model or another? Because AIB models supposedly have lower quality capacitors, making cross talk and crashing the GPU. If it is that, then there isn't really a fix except for disabling any boosting algorithms lowering its clock speed, which is why its crashing

No, I have the NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE.

The cooler (Wraith Prism cooler that came with the Ryzen 9) is what I'm using, and appears to be seated corrected.

As for temps, just ran through a game of Fortnite and the highest I saw the CPU get was 72 degrees, usually around 60-65 degrees. The GPU stayed steady around 65-67 degrees.

No, I have the NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE.
Run cmd as admin and type "sfc scannow". See if that reports any issues.

shrapsky

Prominent
Oct 5, 2020

Never dealt with this scan before, so I need some help deciphering it.

Ran the diagnostic and 1 warning result3ed. "Missing Events in the Event log".

Under the informational sections, it lists the CPU, Gaming Graphics, Graphics, and Disk rating for the system as "poor" and the Memory rating as "very poor".

Was this because I wasn't operating anything at the time of the scan? Or is there a deeper issue in the system? All of the parts in the PC are brand new and shouldn't have any issues.

Never dealt with this scan before, so I need some help deciphering it.

Ran the diagnostic and 1 warning result3ed. "Missing Events in the Event log".

Under the informational sections, it lists the CPU, Gaming Graphics, Graphics, and Disk rating for the system as "poor" and the Memory rating as "very poor".

Was this because I wasn't operating anything at the time of the scan? Or is there a deeper issue in the system? All of the parts in the PC are brand new and shouldn't have any issues.
Have you set you ram to D.O.C.P in bios?

shrapsky

Prominent
Oct 5, 2020
If anyone was wondering - I switched to a 1000w platinum corsair PSU (swapped out my EVGA 850w Gold+) and haven't had the issue since. Seemed the PSU was the problem. Not sure if it was a bad PSU or if 850w just wasn't enough power for it.

Solution