Jul 24, 2012
CPU: i5 7600k @ 3.80ghz
RAM: 2x8gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance C16
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce OC 1070 8gb
MOBO: Gigabyte Z270-HD3-CF
SSD: 111gb Kingston
HDD: 1863gb Seagate Barracuda
PSU: Corsair AX860 860 watt

Last night, I was playing Bioshock: Remastered. Everything was normal, then out of nowhere, my PC shut down. The light on my external hard drive was still on, and so was the light on my motherboard's ethernet port. I didn't know what to think. I let it rest for a couple minutes before trying to turn it back on, but it would not.

Well, I had an older power supply I could try. I removed the graphics card so the 24 pin connector could reach, then I hooked it up and the pc booted to bios just fine. I decided to try my normal power supply again, and sure enough, everything booted. Even my drives are fine, which would not indicate a power surge (I had one last year with my old power supply, it fried my drives and gpu).

You'll notice that my graphics card was not plugged in during the successful reboot, and that is why I'm making this thread here. Once everything SEEMED fine with my power supply, I decided to plug the gpu back in. And this time, my computer would not start at all. I tried a different PCI-e port, and the computer still would not start.

The only other graphics card I currently have that I could test with was an old Nvidia GT610, which does not require external power. I plugged it into the original PCI-e port my 1070 was in, and the computer booted up. At the very least, I suppose this would indicate no problems with the port itself.

Does this sound like a GPU issue? Can I rule power supply out? I am currently making this thread on the same computer that shut off last night using Intel HD graphics.

xreva

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012

Wonderful. I suppose this means I get to deal with the infamous and dreadful Gigabyte customer service I've heard so much about.

I don't have any tools to test a short circuit in the graphics card. Would you suggest taking it to a repair shop so they can give me a definitive answer on this, or just go ahead and start the RMA process?

The repair shop would just test the graphics card in another system.