Computer Shut Off, Won't Boot Up

Hel Styrkr

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2012
Evening all,
I've had an ongoing issue that came to a head tonight, and I'm looking for advice on how to proceed.

So to start, over the last six months or so, I've had an issue where my computer would randomly shut down and wouldn't restart until I unplugged the power cable and let it sit for an hour or so. Plug the cable back in, and it starts up and running so like normal.

Tonight, while in the middle of a game of Civ 6 of all things, my computer shut down and I have not been able to get it to restart, despite unplugging it and letting it sit for several hours. When plugging it in the lights on the motherboard light up, but no fans spin, nothing tries to boot, nothing.
I don't have the time pull the power supply and shorting the pins together tonight, but that is on my to do list tomorrow. It should also be noted that I live in a rural area that loses power frequently, and I'm not plugged into an APC, just a surge strip. So if anyone has any ideas on this, at least before I do the tests on the PSU, I'd be glad to hear them. System specs are below. Thanks in advance.

-ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero motherboard
-Intel core i-5 6600 processor
-512gb SSD
-2tb HDD
-GeForce GTX 970
-SeaSonic 1kw PSU

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
What's the part number of your 1kW Seasonic unit? And why you have 1kW unit in there in the first place when 500W unit is more than enough for your PC?

As far as what might have happened: blackouts are bad, both short term (you'll loose all unsaved data and it can also cause data corruption) and long term (it eventually wears out all PC components, including PSU). Here, my best guess is that the blackouts have had it's toll on your PSU, up to the point of it's failure.

To prevent that happening with your new PSU, buy an UPS as well, so, that you have some time to safely shut down your PC during blackout. Also, UPS will eliminate all problems that are caused by the electrical grid.
Those include: blackouts (power loss), brownouts (voltage drop) and surges (voltage increase). UPS also has AVR in it (Automatic Voltage Regulator) which stabilizes the income voltage from e.g 215V-225V to stable 220V for your PSU to consume.
In my honest opinion, all PCs should have an UPS (mine do).

Hel Styrkr

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2012
Update : After letting it sit all day, I've plugged it back in and it booted up fine. Anyone have any thoughts here? Could this be a symptom of a failing power supply? Or am I looking at something more serious here?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Your issues point towards failing PSU. Here, i suggest you RMA your PSU and get a new Seasonic unit (Seasonic units come with long warranties, so your unit should still have some warranty left). Also, while Seasonic PSUs are either good or great quality (depending on a model), no PSU can last forever, especially if it faces constant blackouts.

As said above, to keep your new PSU from failing within a year or so, like your old one did, do buy an UPS as well. It's far more convenient to have an UPS than replacing PSUs every year.