[SOLVED] Computer Shutdown 10-20 minutes into intensive gaming. Having to unplug and plug back in to reboot

May 21, 2020
Hey all, if anyone can help me out or point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

I just built my desktop:
Specs-
Case: Aero Cool Cyclon (not the pro edition)
Mobo: Rog Strix B450-F
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
GPU: XFX Radeon 580 xt 8gb
RAM: 16 GB OLOy 3200 mhz (though I've only been able to post at 2800)
HD: Samsung Evo 970 M.2 500GB; 250 Samsung 860 SSD; 1Tb Western Digital HDD 7200 RPM
Fans: 6 LED intakes , 2 Exhaust
Power Supply: 850w Thermaltake Bronze

I'm monitoring my temps with HWinfo AND Afterburner
My processor is staying quite cool, getting to mid 60s when the shut down occurs. My GPU has been anywhere between 73-83 when the shut down occurs

With Witcher 3, the power down occurs in about 10 minutes. With Scrap Mechanic it occurs in about 20 minutes.

It makes me think that an overheating issue is happening, BUT, there should be no overheating at those temps. And I'm unsure whether or not the GPU overheating would cause a shutdown in that manner. There's no way the CPU is overheating.

So... I'm going to reset the BIOS to default, see if that fixes the issue. IF not, I've got a 750 Thermaltake Bronze power supply that I'll be replacing my current one with. I also have 2 32 GB Corsair RGB memory sticks I'll be replacing the OLOy with. (Which I'm pretty excited about if I can get the damn thing to stop shutting down on me.)

ALSO, I'll be checking the outlet tonight to see if there's anything wrong with it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Solution
It makes me think that an overheating issue is happening, BUT, there should be no overheating at those temps. And I'm unsure whether or not the GPU overheating would cause a shutdown in that manner. There's no way the CPU is overheating.

Yet you posted this in the PSU subforum for a reason. ;-)

If you have to actually unplug and re-plug the PSU to get the PC to restart, it sounds like the PSU is doing a protective latch off. Probably OTP (over temperature protection). Make sure the fan on the PSU is actually working.

If you have to actually unplug and re-plug the PSU to get the PC to restart, it sounds like the PSU is doing a protective latch off. Probably OTP (over temperature protection). Make sure the fan on the PSU is actually working.

Solution
May 21, 2020

Yes, because that's what im thinking is most likely the problem. Because of exactly what you said.

This is going to sound really ignorant. I'm a bit of a newbie. But... does the fan run when it's plugged in outside the computer?