Computer shutdown by itself twice. Then a few minutes after turned back on, please help.

JohnTHDW

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2013
Hello,

Today I turned on my computer in the morning, then I went to play a game and maybe 10-15 mins while in the game the computer turned itself off. Try to turn it on and wouldn't turn on. Then 1 minute after turned on again.

Then maybe almost 1.5-2 hours after finishing my game the computer turned itself off again but this time I didn't try to turn it back on since I decided maybe needed some cleaning, checking cables, etc. While I was waiting maybe 3 mins after the computer turned ON by itself!

What could be the problem? I haven't installed anything and temperature readings seems fine.

Any suggestions? I went to event viewer and this is what I found:

1st event:

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 8/4/2015 6:53:51 AM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: JOHN-PC
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />

2nd event:

Date: 8/4/2015 8:57:55 AM
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />

Thanks a lot for all your help. I really appreciate it.

EDIT:

Today It happened again and twice! same as yesterday! now it's running fine like yesterday for the rest of the day.

This is weird, why this is happening and twice again?

These are the logs from today, 6 mins apart!

Date: 8/5/2015 7:42:31 AM
Description:
Event Xml:
<System>
<EventID>41</EventID>

Date: 8/5/2015 7:48:20 AM
Description:
Event Xml:
<System>
<EventID>41</EventID>

Solution

XFX TS Series 550W PSU (P1-550S-XXB9)
OEM: Seasonic
maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating: 44 Amps <===== Way more than sufficient
two 150-Watt (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors <===== More than sufficient
Hold-up Time: 39.8 milliseconds <====== Way better than the required 16 milliseconds
Ambient Temperature Maximum (i.e. without...

JohnTHDW

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2013

Processor: AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970

Hard Drive: WD Blue 1TB Desktop 3.5 Inch SATA 6Gb/s 7200rpm Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7790 OC 1GB DDR5

Power Suppy: Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500w

Horrible power supply. Depending upon how old that power supply is it may be putting out an excessive level of ripple that will result in system instability.

Even when the Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500W was new it would output a level of ripple that exceeds what is allowed by ATX12V specs if there is an attempt to draw more than 400W. As the power supply ages that wattage level where the ripple is excessive keeps dropping. Your power supply may have now reached that point.

Test with a better power supply. Borrow one for testing if you have to.

JohnTHDW

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2013

I got the power supply less than 2 years ago.

My main question is: why this is happening only in the morning when I first turn on my computer? the rest of the day the computer runs perfectly, I can even play games, edit videos, etc.

Some component is temperature sensitive.

JohnTHDW

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2013

JohnTHDW

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2013

Hi, could you please check if this PSU stats from OCCT are OK?

Thanks.

http://i.imgur.com/HoKUOpc.jpg

JohnTHDW

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2013
This is strange. I've been leaving the computer ON so I don't have to deal with the reboots. After 3 continuous days ON today I got a notification update for some important windows updates. I did the update and then after rebooting I got this message:

http://i.imgur.com/LGOFAPg.jpg

Do you think that it's due to the many reboots? or maybe the culprit is something else?

Here are the values from OCCT after restart.

http://i.imgur.com/HlUdDzw.jpg

What are your recommendations? I really appreciate all your help.

Try using a better quality power supply unit.

If a PSU has insufficient hold-up time it can actually cause disk corruption because the SSD or HDD will not have sufficient time to flush its cache contents to storage before the stored charge runs out in its primary capacitor(s).

JohnTHDW

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2013

I'm going to order a new Corsair 600w power supply from Amazon. Do you think it's fine to leave my computer ON all the time while I get the new PSU?

JohnTHDW

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2013

Oh, I was thinking of getting the CX600,

What would be the main problem I could encounter with this limitation?

Corrupted drives.

JohnTHDW

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2013

Which one do you recommend?

JohnTHDW

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2013

I'm in South America, I order everything from Amazon so any brand is fine. My budget was $65-70

XFX TS Series 550W PSU (P1-550S-XXB9)
OEM: Seasonic
maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating: 44 Amps <===== Way more than sufficient
two 150-Watt (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors <===== More than sufficient
Hold-up Time: 39.8 milliseconds <====== Way better than the required 16 milliseconds
Ambient Temperature Maximum (i.e. without derating): 50°C
Modular Output Cables: No
Passes Official Intel Haswell Compliance Test: Yes
80 PLUS BRONZE Efficiency Certification
5 Year Limited Warranty
Link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RJ8EKI/?tag=pcpapi-20

Solution

JohnTHDW

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2013

Thanks! that one looks good.

Where did you find the complete specs?

JohnTHDW

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2013

Today when I woke up the computer was off, I remember waking up around 3am and the computer was working. The strange thing is that it decided to turn off completely instead of reboot.

After turning the computer ON the reboots started again, so I took everything apart and discovered that the PSU fan wasn't working. It was stuck. I cleaned everything up and the fan is spinning but slowly.

I ended up buying the XFX PSU that you recommended me. Good thing is that I needed a few things from Amazon as well! :)

I'm going to let the old PSU run for a little bit and see If I can make it run until I get the new psu.

JohnTHDW

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2013
Hello, I finally was able to get the PSU delivered.

Everything is working great! but the 3.3 V still showing 3.13V, same as before, maybe the sensor is giving out incorrect info.

Also something weird happened today. I left the PC on then I left for a few minutes, when I came back everything was frozen, I couldn't click on anything and CTRL ALT DELETE didn't work. I had to reset the PC using the power button. After that event Chrome seems different, everything is working right but not responding immediately as before. Sometimes I have to click twice to get it to work.

Do you think this is related to the change or just a coincidence?

Using a DMM (Digital Multi-Meter) to measure the voltages will tell you if the motherboard's sensor chips are incorrectly calibrated.

AMD 970 chipset motherboards have been known to be flaky.

If you leave Chrome running then any Chrome updates will be automatically downloaded but not applied until you shut down Chrome and restart it.