Computer shutdown by itself twice. Then a few minutes after turned back on, please help.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JohnTHDW

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2013
Hello,

Today I turned on my computer in the morning, then I went to play a game and maybe 10-15 mins while in the game the computer turned itself off. Try to turn it on and wouldn't turn on. Then 1 minute after turned on again.

Then maybe almost 1.5-2 hours after finishing my game the computer turned itself off again but this time I didn't try to turn it back on since I decided maybe needed some cleaning, checking cables, etc. While I was waiting maybe 3 mins after the computer turned ON by itself!

What could be the problem? I haven't installed anything and temperature readings seems fine.

Any suggestions? I went to event viewer and this is what I found:

1st event:

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 8/4/2015 6:53:51 AM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: JOHN-PC
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />

2nd event:

Date: 8/4/2015 8:57:55 AM
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />

Thanks a lot for all your help. I really appreciate it.

EDIT:

Today It happened again and twice! same as yesterday! now it's running fine like yesterday for the rest of the day.

This is weird, why this is happening and twice again?

These are the logs from today, 6 mins apart!

Date: 8/5/2015 7:42:31 AM
Description:
Event Xml:
<System>
<EventID>41</EventID>

Date: 8/5/2015 7:48:20 AM
Description:
Event Xml:
<System>
<EventID>41</EventID>

Solution

XFX TS Series 550W PSU (P1-550S-XXB9)
OEM: Seasonic
maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating: 44 Amps <===== Way more than sufficient
two 150-Watt (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors <===== More than sufficient
Hold-up Time: 39.8 milliseconds <====== Way better than the required 16 milliseconds
Ambient Temperature Maximum (i.e. without...

JohnTHDW

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2013

Hmm, I just thought it was strange that everything went frozen and just today that I changed the PSU.

That usually happens with Chrome updates?

I've never encountered a problem like that with Chrome 64-bit version on Windows 7 but there is a known crashing issue with Windows 10.

JohnTHDW

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2013

Well, the solution was to replace the PSU as your recommended. Thanks again! I wish I knew about XFX quality before buying that Cooler master PSU.